Vaccine bombshell

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Reality Bytes profile image75
    Reality Bytesposted 11 years ago

Vaccine bombshell: Baby monkeys given standard doses of popular vaccines develop autism symptoms

If vaccines play absolutely no role in the development of childhood autism, a claim made by many medical authorities today, then why are some of the most popular vaccines commonly administered to children demonstrably causing autism in animal primates?

"This research underscores the critical need for more investigation into immunizations, mercury, and the alterations seen in autistic children," said Lyn Redwood, director of SafeMinds, a public safety group working to expose the truth about vaccines and autism. "SafeMinds calls for large scale, unbiased studies that look at autism medical conditions and the effects of vaccines given as a regimen."

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/035787_vacci … z26TptB2pW

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I would suggest learning more from primary sources.  I guess you could be cautious and get the thimerisol free version, Glaxo makes one.

http://www.rescuepost.com/files/hewitso … -study.pdf

This one is more relevant to autism

http://img2.tapuz.co.il/forums/1_152577297.pdf

3. Shanna11 profile image76
    Shanna11posted 11 years ago

I read through the page and several of the links associated. I can't help but feel the authors already had an opinion and weren't being unbiased. Also, some other questions I couldn't find the answers too(I skimmed in parts, and others I just don't know):

How many monkeys were used and what was the duration of the time period? How old were the monkeys and were they tested for previous problems?

Were vaccines given all at once or were they spaced out and given as if the monkey was a human child on a schedule?

They said they used vaccines with the same makeup as vaccines from a 1994-1997 period of something like that; are vaccines the same today? Why didn't they use modern vaccines?

4. WriteAngled profile image73
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

The only paper actually published by Hewitson and her colleagues on this topic is a paper which appeared  in Acta Neurobiol in 2010, with the title "Influence of pediatric vaccines on amygdala growth and opioid ligand binding in rhesus macaque infants: A pilot study."

In 2011, Novella and Hines from Yale published a rebuttal, in the same journal, of the claims made by Hewitson et al.

Amongst other things, they state:

"Unfortunately, there are several serious problems with the methods and analyses used in the study. Further, the results reported by the authors are directly contradicted by their own earlier published findings and the findings of other researchers. These problems render the conclusions drawn by Hewitson and coworkers invalid."
    and
    "Even in a pilot study, such tiny numbers, especially in the control group, render any results  meaningless. The unexplained missing data is a cause for serious concern. While the authors correctly point out that this is a pilot study and only conclude that further research is necessary, the statistical and other limitations of this study do not meet even that low standard."
    and
    "Yet another problem with the paper is its serious lack of scholarship. The authors neither mentioned nor discussed a previous paper, the results of which directly contradict their own."

If you wish to read the whole of the comment by Novella and Hines, a link to a pdf of their article is available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21499334

It is a pity that unqualified people latch on to statements made by random academics, without researching the reactions of the rest of the scientific community. These statements then get endlessly propagated by people with their own agenda.

Ironically, with respect to the hysteria concerning MMR vaccination and autism, already in 2004, it was possible to conclude the following:

"A large UK case-control study showed no association between MMR and subsequent development of autism. It also performed a meta-analysis of studies, which overall showed a non-significant reduction of autism rates in children receiving MMR vaccination"

Furthermore:

" The UK GP database study was impeccable. It showed no increased risk of autism or PDD with MMR, and looked at a whole range of different possible analyses to investigate whether there could be associations with age at vaccination, or type of condition. There were none. Moreover, it also showed that while age of vaccination was 1.2 years, the age of first diagnosis was 5.4 years, a four-year gap. This is quite different from the media presentation in which a perfectly normal child begins to have behavioural problems within weeks of MMR vaccination.
    And the systematic review and meta-analysis was within a whisker of having a statistically significant result that went the other way, that there was a reduced risk of autism in children who had been vaccinated with MMR. Perhaps it is too early to say, but another study like the ones we have so far would nail it down. In that case parents who did not have their children vaccinated with MMR would put them at risk of both harm from measles, and harm from being at increased risk of developing autism. "

The above comment is from Bandolier, a highly respected  independent journal about evidence-based healthcare, written by Oxford University scientists. You can read the full comment re MMR at http://www.medicine.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/ … MMRUK.html

5. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

No matter if they cause autism or not my daughter will get no more. She had her shots up to 4 months and they caused horrible reactions. I have no desire to force something  horrible on my child to "prevent" something horrible.

6. WriteAngled profile image73

Obviously that is your choice. Personally, I would choose a temporary reaction over the possibility of permanent major damage by the disease the vaccine prevents.

I wasn't allowed to have my elder daughter vaccinated against whooping cough due to the ignorance and short-sightedness of paediatricians in Zagreb, Croatia, where we were living at the time. Guess what? She got whooping cough at the age of about 10 months and as a consequence suffered far more from subsequent colds than she would have otherwise.

1. peeples profile image94
      peeplesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My oldest son got whooping cough and he had the vaccine. My daughter on the other hand without any shots since then has been healthier so far than either of my boys were. Is it related? No telling but I know seeing a 4 month old in the hospital with a fever of 103 screaming in pain for 3 days was not something I would ever want any child to go through. I think they should be more open to us about what is in each medication they offer our children. I don't think  parents warning other parent is a bad thing. I also think that the choice to vacinate or not is similar to the debate of breastfeeding or not. We shouldn't see it as for and against and be more accepting to personal choice.

7. WriteAngled profile image73

Actually, this whole topic is also a wonderful example of the idiocy of Google criteria and HP following Google criteria in deciding which hubs to permit entry to search results and which ones to censor.

I am quite sure that the gutter press-style screaming articles about vaccines causing mayhem will reach the top results in a standard (i.e. not Scholar) Google search. Articles providing a critical response with scientific rationale will not see the light of day.

Hubpages will follow the Google judgement and will let the gutter press-style hubs be trawled by the search engines, while idling the scientific hubs because they get less response from the unwashed mass  users of the Internet.

1. stclairjack profile image78
      stclairjackposted 11 years agoin reply to this

if this were facebook i would SOOOOO be hitting the "like" button on this!!

8. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 11 years ago

As a parent, you have to weight up the risk of your child being that one in a hundred (or whatever the figure is) that suffers an extreme negative effect from the vaccine, against the (usually much higher) risk of your child catching the disease the immunization is supposed to protect against.

Doctors can only advise on your child's likelihood of suffering negative effect against your immediate family history, and they probably don't even know that.

I know mothers whose children are now autistic thanks to MMR. The risks have been known since the 80s, despite the Press talking them down.

As a parent, it is your decision.

Not an easy one to make.

My own kids got the vaccine, and all were OK despite being a bit ill the first night afterwards.

I reckoned it is better to live with the knowledge that you tried your best. If the vaccine upsets them, the disease would have killed them.

Can you imagine the guilt and horror you would feel if your child died of measles because you refused them the vaccine?

9. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

None of the this research  is about the vaccine element, it is about an optional other part of the dose.  just get thimerisol-free TB shots.  Possible problem solved.

10. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 11 years ago

I worked with children with autism and many of the caretakers witnessed the changes occur AFTER they were vaccinated. I heard this time and time again,"They looked right at us smiling and cooing, and then after the immunization, a high fever, crying, and diminishing responsiveness ..." They had photos to prove it. No one wants to listen to these parents, nannies, special needs caretakers or therapists... they remain the unheard.  We don't even need a study, verifiable or not, on rats or primates.

Yes, vaccinations are vital to the health of the population, but lets take out the mercury and lets give smaller doses at one time.  They do not need to get vaccinated for everything on the same day!  spread it out and make it safer for the more sensitive babies.  Every baby body is different in what they can handle. Some childrens' livers cannot filter out all the mercury, preservatives and additives. it is the luck of the genetic draw when anyone vaccinates according to standard practice.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)