Benefits of a pedometer

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (18 posts)
  1. healinghands1668 profile image65
    healinghands1668posted 10 years ago

I started using a pedometer a few months ago, and frankly, I love it. It's been the best way for me to make sure I stay active on any given day. I have not gotten less than 10000 steps a day since the first of the year smile

Has anyone else here tried using a pedometer to track daily activity? How is it working for you?

1. profile image0
      Dave36posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I haven't used a pedometer mate, but i think it's a great idea....If your getting fit you have to have fun while your doing it, just make sure that you beat the amount of steps every day....The way to get fitter is to do a little bit more every day, & walking is just about the best thing a person can do....We're actually "hunter gatherers", & we're designed to walk a lot....The next step is running every day, but just chip away, & beat yer steps by at least 100/200, ever day. :-)

2. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

My employer passed out pedometers to all employees last year as part of their "Wellness Initiative." Of course, being a lazy slug, I said "Ehh, I don't need this silly thing," and threw it in a drawer.

Since the new year however I've noticed that it's become harder to squeeze into my jeans (i.e. I've become quite the fat-ass over the winter) so I dug that pedometer out and began taking regular lunchtime walks around our building with it. Depending on which route I take, two laps around the property adds up to 2000-2500 steps.

It's not much, but it's a start. When the weather gets nicer I hope that I can get back outside and do some more walking on the weekends as well.

healinghands1668posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Nice job! When I first started wearing my pedometer, I was shocked by how little I seemed to move in a day, especially on the days when I work my office job rather than my massage job. When I'm working my massage job, I'm at least back and forth to the bathroom to wash my hands before and after as well as greeting and checking out clients. But my office job involves me in a tiny little office making phone calls and working on the computer the whole time I'm there.

According to the guidelines I've read:

<5000/day = sedentary
      5001-7500 = low active
      7501-9999 = somewhat active
      10000-12000 = active
      >12001 = highly active

Hitting that 10000 does take conscious effort. When I'm working my office job, I pace back and forth on the phone, and I walk in place while I am filing. Whenever I am doing a task that mostly requires standing in one place--washing dishes, for example--I walk in place.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image93

I have a desk job so aside from my newly established lunch time power-walks, I don't have much opportunity to "get moving" during the day... though I am also making a conscious effort to use the stairs more and the elevator less (unless I have a cup of coffee in my hand, haha).

4. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

They had a good interview about this on NPR.
    I tried to find it, but instead I just found like a dozen articles. All good.
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/05 … -your-duff

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor … Id=4653088

5. FatFreddysCat profile image93

Just came back from my lunchtime stroll - two laps around the building = 2,435 steps.

Tell ya though, if the weather doesn't start improving soon I'm gonna figure out how to do that many laps indoors until Spring. It was freakin' cold out thar today. Brrrrr!

healinghands1668posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Cold here, too. I try to get to the gym to use the treadmill sometimes. Otherwise, I walk laps around the island in the kitchen.

1. FatFreddysCat profile image93
        FatFreddysCatposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'd have to lose weight before I could even get on a treadmill. Haha

6. FatFreddysCat profile image93

Two more lunch time laps today (I think that's the limit I'll be able to squeak in during the short amount of break time I'm given) - Pedometer sez I did about 2400 steps. Phew!

7. FatFreddysCat profile image93

It's been too cold and snowy the past few days to do any lunch time walking. With my luck I'd slip on some ice around the back of the building where nobody could see me, knock myself out,  and I'd turn into a popsicle.

I'm holding off till some nicer weather comes in later this week before starting again... I'd rather be fat than frost bitten.

1. profile image0
      Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Two years ago I walked nightly, no matter the weather. Snowing, raining, 3 am... didn't matter. I took a spill on the ice a couple of times. It hurt like heck, but I couldn't help but laugh. I was like Bambi trying to stand back up on the ice.

A few years back I slipped on ice while I was walking my dog, and went flat on my back. I didn't really hurt myself but the shock of landing on my back like that knocked me stupid for a second.... the whole time I lay there trying to get my sh*t together enough to get back up, the dog thought I was playing and was jumping all around me like a spazz and licking my face. I was like "Get off of me, dumbass! I'm hurt! ... Lassie would've gone for help y'know!"

1. profile image0

hahahaha... that's funny. I mean... I'm sorry. lol

Don't get me wrong, I love my dog, but he's a dumb-ass.

1. profile image0

lol!

8. LynnLewis profile image60
    LynnLewisposted 10 years ago

I once wrote an article on how the best money I'd ever spent on weight loss tools was for my pedometer. Very motivational.

9. FatFreddysCat profile image93

Bump for update...I'm still doing my lunch time walks and now that the weather's finally gotten nicer, I actually enjoy them and look forward to them!!

The old cheapie pedometer I'd been using to track my walking has been kicked to the curb, though. I never had much faith in its accuracy - I would walk the same route every day, yet sometimes it would tell me I'd taken as many as 2500 steps, other times it would say 1700 or 1800. Besides, I was never sure how to translate the # of "steps" into actual distance (i.e. feet/miles)

A co-worker who also does lunch time power walks introduced me to a app for the Android phone called "RunKeeper" which has been a Godsend. It uses the GPS in my phone to "track" me as I walk, it keeps a record of how long I walk, the distance covered, how many calories I've burnt, etc. It'll even show a little Google Maps graph of the path I walked. Pretty cool!

I've learned that two and a half laps around our building is just a smidge over 1.5 miles, and as I write this I'm averaging a mile's walk in around 15 minutes.

Make no mistake, I'm still a fat b##tard and my legs hate me at the end of the day (haha) but I feel good that I'm doing something and I'm able to track my progress and see that I'm improving, ever so slowly.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)