jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (11 posts)

Do you believe that nightmares can be treated??

1. EstherHDS profile image59
    EstherHDSposted 2 years ago

A while ago, I was convinced that nightmares could only be treated when paying attention to the meaning of your terrifying dream. However, after a lot of courses and several research artices, I changed my believe! What do you think of it? Do we always have to decode the meaning of the content?

1. SouradipSinha profile image80
      SouradipSinhaposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Meditating and practicing Yoga helps a lot to regain mental peace.
      If its a severe emotional problem, its best to consult a psychiatrist.

2. csmiravite-blogs profile image80
      csmiravite-blogsposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Having inner peace reduces nightmares. Meaning, that your waking desire should be the same  as your inner desire. When that happens, you don't even dream.

EstherHDSposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Hmm, I've never heard of such a thing. Is that a theory of someone?

1. csmiravite-blogs profile image80
          csmiravite-blogsposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I've read about it some years ago. I forgot from where. I realized it to be true with myself. When I am at peace, I don't even dream.  But when agitated (reality is at odds with my inner desire), I have nightmares!

3. psycheskinner profile image81
      psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

It depends on what is causing them.

What if I say that even this treatment is helping for PTSS patients with dreams about the trauma?

1. psycheskinner profile image81
          psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Then the treatment should be for the underlying complaint, not the symptoms.

2. Jewels profile image81
    Jewelsposted 2 years ago

The explanation and series of steps for IRT are fine, except those who do suffer from PTSS are reliving traumas that actually occurred, not imaginary dreams that are laden with panic and terror.  IRT sounds too simplistic in my experience.

Dream states are not always black and white, not all relate to your living experience, some states have absolutely nothing to do with your present or past, some do, and some relate to possible futures, ie premonitory dreams do exist and are not imagination.  Some have absolutely nothing to do with you, ie they are random night spaces you would do well to get out of - if you knew how!

So for some, if a nightmare is recurring then of course it is beneficial to find the source of the malaise and resolve it.  Changing a dreams outcome by reinventing a future sounds like creative visualization, which is fine in some circumstances.  In other circumstances it is no better than placing a band aide on a broken leg.

Dream interpretations are quite often individual and making blanket explanations is often not helpful.  In psychological circles blanket cures often don't work.  However, individual delving is the key to resolution.  It always has been this way. 

So back to the soldiers experiencing PTSS - putting lovely waterfalls on a blood laden battlefield is not going to stop their nightmares.

I totally agree with your post! However, several times I found out that this therapy can also be used for patients suffering from PTSS. Most patients not only have dreams of their trauma, but also idiosyncratic ones. When treating those, most of the time the trauma related dreams also disappear. Although I have to confess I need to do more research to these cases to believe it completely.

3. SouradipSinha profile image80
    SouradipSinhaposted 2 years ago

Yes we get Dreams when we are agitated, when we sleep more and generally towards morning.

working