I'm a bit overweight but used to be fit and play football in college. What type

1. profile image43
    robertbirdposted 9 years ago

I'm a bit overweight but used to be fit and play football in college. What type of exercise program would you suggest for someone in the thirties who has enjoyed the good life for too long.
    Robert.

2. sfkat profile image53
    sfkatposted 8 years ago

If it's been a long time since you last worked out or regularly kept fit, starting off slow is a really good idea.  Throwing yourself full force into a workout routine can potentially be too much and you might find yourself too physically taxed and want to give up before you've even given it a proper chance!

Depending on your level of current activity, you might want to start off just walking for half an hour 3 times a week.  After dinner is a great time to go for a walk.

If that sounds too easy, you could try going for a short jog instead.  You could do a little bit of both -- alternate jogging and walking.

If you don't like cardio, you can start off with some strength training at home with push ups, sit ups, squats, lunges, etc. I suggest starting off doing something you want to do.  Once that becomes a habit, then up the ante and take on something a little more challenging.

3. TuneUpYourTemple profile image53
    TuneUpYourTempleposted 8 years ago

It depends on your goals. If you want to simply lose weight, then do cardio and more cardio, but don't forget to include some weight training because if your skin doesn't spring back you won't be any better off. If you want to gain muscle, then still do cardio but do more weight training. 

Don't worry about your age, I know many people that are twice your age and older and still has a nice physique. My cousin is in her eighties and has biceps of steel!

working