jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What is Intestinal Obstruction?

1. ngureco profile image83
    ngurecoposted 8 years ago

What is Intestinal Obstruction?

What are the causes, symptoms and treatments? Can one die from Intestinal Obstruction? Can adults suffer from Intestinal Obstruction?

2. shirleybill profile image56
    shirleybillposted 8 years ago

That is a blockage in the intestine. It could be a growth, etc.
    Anyone can get an intestinal obstruction. However doctors are pretty good in doing these procedures. I would suggest you talk with your doctor.

3. profile image59
    drshahiposted 7 years ago

Causes are increasing peristalsis working against an obstructing agent,which may be in the lumen such as bolus of incompletely digested material,inspissated faeces,or a gall stone,in the wall such as inflammatory or malignant strictures or outside wall as in herniae or adhesions.
    In adynamic condition peristalsis ceases and no true propulsive waves occur in paralytic ileus or mesentric vascular occlusion.
    Symptoms-Abdominal pain,Vomiting,Distension,Constipation & Dehydration.
    Treatment-There are three measures for combating and overcoming the effects of Intestinal Obstruction(1)Gastro-Duodenal or Gastro-Intestinal suction drainage, (2)
    Replacement and maintenance of fluid and electrolytic balance, (3) Relief of the obstruction, usually by surgical operation.

4. BEAUTYBABE profile image75
    BEAUTYBABEposted 7 years ago

Hi Ngureco,
    I realise it is a while since you posted your question but  since I have spent most of my adult life from the age of nineteen years old, suffering from bowel obstructions, I really do know a lot about them.

For one thing as I said before, adults can definitely suffer from Intestinal Obstructions. I am in my fifities now and my last obstruction requiring surgery, was only four years ago.

I have outlined here below the other information that I hope you
    will find useful as I know this was information you were asking for answers to.

I apologise again for the delay but I haven't been well myself and I have only just noticed it.

Here is the information:

Depending on the level of obstruction, bowel obstruction can present with abdominal pain, abdominal distension, vomiting, fecal vomiting, and constipation.

Bowel obstruction may be complicated by dehydration and electrolyte abnormalities due to vomiting; respiratory compromise from pressure on the diaphragm by a distended abdomen, or aspiration of vomitus; bowel ischaemia or perforation from prolonged distension or pressure from a foreign body.

In small bowel obstruction the pain tends to be colicky (cramping and intermittent) in nature, with spasms lasting a few minutes. The pain tends to be central and mid-abdominal. Vomiting occurs before constipation.

In large bowel obstruction the pain is felt lower in the abdomen and the spasms last longer. Constipation occurs earlier and vomiting may be less prominent. Proximal obstruction of the large bowel may present as small bowel obstruction.

Causes of small bowel obstruction include:

Adhesions from previous abdominal surgery
    Hernias containing bowel
    Crohn's disease causing adhesions or inflammatory strictures
    Neoplasms, benign or malignant
    Intussusception in children
    Ischaemic strictures
    Foreign bodies (e.g. gallstones in gallstone ileus, swallowed objects)
    Intestinal atresia

Large bowel obstruction
    Causes of large bowel obstruction include:

Inflammatory bowel disease
    Colonic volvulus (sigmoid, caecal, transverse colon)
    Adhesion (medicine)
    Fecal impaction
    Colon atresia
    Intestinal pseudoobstruction
    Benign strictures (diverticular disease)

I trust this will assist you with your questions.

Good Luck  Beautbabe.