jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

I have not heard of the Cinnamon thing. Does anyone have more details on this?

1. Don Bobbitt profile image95
    Don Bobbittposted 8 years ago

I have not heard of the Cinnamon thing.  Does anyone have more details on this?

It was mentioned that taking Cinnamon helps reduce blod sugar for diabetics.   I am a new Type-2 diabetic, and have not heard of this.
    IS this a valid way to reduce blood sugar, and are there any other herbal type suggestions that work?

2. ianbrad55 profile image55
    ianbrad55posted 8 years ago

Apparently an antioxidant in cinnamon called polyphenols helps fight inflammation and the signaling to the body of insulin release. In the study 60 people with type 2 diabetes ate cinnamon in capsule form for 40 days with a control group taking placebos. Different amounts of cinnamon were given to the testers, each amount showed a difference in the blood glucose levels of the group taking the cinnamon. The results found that as little as 1 gram or 1/8 teaspoon a day can make a difference to blood glucose levels. It is recommended you tried to add natural cinnamon to the food you are eating such as cereals and yogurts rather than purchasing pills. The cinnamon pills are not regulated by the FDA. Just make sure to let your doctor know that you are going to begin taking cinnamon so he or she knows that you have changed something in your diet and you can both keep an eye on the changes.

3. Robuck4 profile image47
    Robuck4posted 8 years ago

Hey Don,

Lately I've started adding cinnamon to my Greek Yogurt. If you add some slenda or stevia it tastes like a kind of cinnamon puddin. Really good for you with very few carbs.

Blessing to you

4. goodhealthtoyou profile image54
    goodhealthtoyouposted 8 years ago

It appears that recent studies done on small groups of participants reveal lower blood sugar levels and lower LDL cholesterol levels when ingesting "natural" forms of cinnamon. These studies show great promise although I have not seen a good long term study finding as of yet. In the meantime, enjoy it sprinkled on cereal, sugar free yogurt, oatmeal or even using it to make a delicious tea. I hope that helped.

Closed to reply