jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

How much do you think stress affects your blood sugar levels with type 2 diabete

1. Robuck4 profile image51
    Robuck4posted 8 years ago

How much do you think stress affects your blood sugar levels with type 2 diabetes?

2. kelvinblogger profile image57
    kelvinbloggerposted 8 years ago

for me if i have blood sugar for type 1 also make me stress.. for type 2 smile maby it can effect my job..

3. Cydni Montgomery profile image60
    Cydni Montgomeryposted 8 years ago

Hi,

there is evidence that stress does play a role in blood sugar issues, both diabetes and hypoglycemia. 

Many other diseases are affected by stress, as well.  I have MS, and when I let myself get really stressed out-- those are the times when I can't walk.  Literally can't walk.  When I calm down, I'm back to normal.  (Which for me is a slight limp.) 

This is all the proof I need, personally, of a mind-body connection.  It just pays to stay calm, as difficult as that is at times!

Hope this helps!

4. JohnJAdams profile image55
    JohnJAdamsposted 7 years ago

Think of diabetes as balancing a book on your finger tip. Each corner has a level you have to keep in balance or the book falls off. The corners of the book are DIET, MEDICATION, EXERCISE & Lastly STRESS. So yes, high stress alone can REALLY knock you out of whack just the same as eating a huge cake by yourself or not getting enough exercise.

5. gilsfile profile image55
    gilsfileposted 7 years ago

I think always being under stress or living a stressful life will
    definitley contrinbute to having high blood sugar levels and may also lead to high blood pressure problems.
      A person with diabetes has to combine diet, exercise, and  de-stressing activities such as yoga, and/or meditation and relaxation pracitces.  I'm sure the blood sugar levels are definitely influenced by a less stressful lifestyle wherever that is possible.

6. NYKitten82 profile image60
    NYKitten82posted 7 years ago

Stress can affect your blood sugars! Trust me I was in a high stress job and after a long day and dealing with my daughters and life my blood sugar would spike over 20 points.

I have found taking a over the counter pill called StressTabs has helped control my stress level and it keeps me even on alot of levels. You can get this at Wal-mart for like 6.00 and it's worth it

7. Janet Hobson profile image60
    Janet Hobsonposted 7 years ago

Stress will most assured affect your blood sugar levels. It can cause you're levels to go very high.Because, you're pumped up! And if you are one of those people who are,when stressed. Start eating  more that makes it worst. And it can also, make you hypoglycemic. And if you are stressed and not eating from not having an appetite. Thats BIG TIME TROUBLE! So, if you let it ,stress can really do you in.Either way.So,I"LL grab an orange juice bottle and my glucometer and start walking.

working