Hypoglycemia Questions- please give me some input!

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)
  1. Bethisawesome profile image61
    Bethisawesomeposted 12 years ago

I have a couple questions I was hoping you guys could help me with. I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia about 6 months ago. For the last 6 years or so prior to being diagnosed, I ate only a meal at night(normal sized). Now I eat 3 times daily but breakfast and lunch are usually just enough to keep my levels up in the 60s-70s. Usually a KIND granola bar for breakfast. The months leading up to the diagnosis I had signs like dilated pupils that people would comment about and extreme nausea, but I didnt know they were symptoms at the time. I am a firefighter so eating on time all the time isnt always an option. Eating when I feel an episode coming on is really not an option because usually thats when I'm on a call. My BMI is in the very normal range and I eat pretty healthy food. I am a female. I guess the questions I have are: Why does hypoglycemia lead to type 2? (as my dr said I would become) Does the food you ate on Day 1 affect how your levels are on Day 2? (because mine seem to) All of the research i have done so far indicates that being in the 50s range is dangerous to your body, so why does my dr seem unconcerned when I reach 51 almost daily? (But I'm still functional, maybe shaking and showing other signs tho) Why are my hands always cold and get even colder when im getting low? (That was the initial reason I went to see my doc and ended up being diagnosed after a fasting BG test)
    Is there anything other than exercising and eating that can raise my levels when I'm low? (Exercising works very well for me but I cant always drop everything and do that)

1. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hello Beth. I am not sure what levels you are discussing. Diabetics test (blood sugar) glucose levels. Normal being the area of 100. I have a dxd = diagnosis of diabetes type2 and my doc is happy with between 120 - 140 for an average over the days. I poke my finger(s) 3X a day. Recommended for testing is 2hrs after putting food in your mouth, kinda' Blood glucose levels are affected by foods more on an hourly basis than day to day.

Ketones (Urine testing) is a different matter. I don't remember the numbers for that.

Cold hands are a clue to many different possibilities. I am not a Dr, of course, but that is a symptom for things like irregular cycle, magnesium defiencey, and people who take beta blockers for blood pressure are sensitive to cold with feet and hands. I realize that may not be helpful, but remember your doctor is the source for answers. The internet helps with helping the doctor. Take notes and present them at your next visit. I keep a spiral binder and take everytime I go. I write my questions down so I don't forget to ask too - old guy stuff - smile

have fun!

Quarterly I do a H1AC blood test, which he is happy if I am near 6.0 - 6.5. Remember I am diabetic, which is kinda' opposite hypoglycemic.

2. hush4444 profile image60
      hush4444posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have reactive hypoglycemia (you sound like you have true hypoglycemia, not reactive), and the reason it can lead to type 2 diabetes (not a certainty) is that when you eat something that is high on the glycemic index, your pancreas excretes more insulin that is necessary.  That wave of insulin reduces your blood sugar too much.  Eventually, the pancreas starts to work ineffectively, either not producing enough insulin or producing inadequate amounts.  I agree that you should see an endocrinologist.  My doctor told me to eat as though I'm already diabetic to better regulate my insulin.

2. Fiction Teller profile image59
    Fiction Tellerposted 12 years ago

Hi,

Is this called reactive hypoglycemia?  It seems the information out there is confusing because most of it refers to hypo in people with diabetes.  The most relevant page I've found for info on hypoglycemia without diabetes is:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hypogl … ION=causes

Also, some hubbers have apparently written on the topic - this hub has a lot of comments:

http://benjimester.hubpages.com/hub/Hyp … t-Diabetes

3. Bethisawesome profile image61
    Bethisawesomeposted 12 years ago

Tsmog- I test my blood glucose 5-7 times daily. Those are the levels. Mine usually range from 50-80 but if I have multiple good days in a row they can get higher after I eat. As far as the cold hands...it seems to get alot worse when I notice my levels dropping. I don't have a cycle due to an IUD birth control. I am going to try adding magnesium to see if it helps. Thanks for the info guys!!

1. profile image54
      Robertr04posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't know how aware you are about natural healing, but I would like to give you a few suggestions that our clients have had very good results with. First we always recommend a body cleanse. The body cannot heal without it. Then we have them change their eating regimen To organic fruits, veg, whole grains, nuts and seeds. Combining the cleanse and eating change will rid the body of toxins and mucus(wastes). All the herbs I am suggesting are extracts. Brewers Yeast; natural energy soars.Hypoglycemia is stabilized by the beautiful protein profiles provide by B.Y. as well as a complete natural profile of B-complex vit.  Works well for high blood sugar also. B.Y. has an additional property to correct pancreatic function also. When the diet has chromium restored to it the pancreas, in many cases , will again make the hormone insulin needed for the digestion of blood sugar and B.Y. is one of the best,most reliable and easily obtainable sources of organic chromium. Dandelion Leaf; Very high in non-harmful vegetable vit A known as carotene. Excellent potassium source, helps to stabalize blood sugar in low blood sugar suffers. Licorice Root; a specific for low blood sugar. Somewhere between 4-50 times sweeter than cane sugar without the calories and does not increase thirst. It can be so sweet it tastes bitter if not diluted. Again, it is a specific for persons with low blood sugar problems. If you are not feeling up to par and have a habit of eating white flour products or sugar products, it is safe to assume they would benefit from Licorice Root. Rice Bran; being a very rich source of a balanced B-complex profile of vitamins, Rice Bran can be vital to maintaining normal blood sugar levels for those suffering from low blood sugar. The B-complex allows the nerves of the body to feed on blood sugar and function normally for an agreeable personality and a clear head for memory and clear thinking. To develop natural stamina, take Rice Bran and eat high quality protein foods on a regular basis. Cold hands and feet could be the result of poor circulation. Capsicum, Rosemary, Myrrh, and Lily of the Valley& Blessed Thistle are very good circulation herbs.

1. profile image54
        Robertr04posted 12 years agoin reply to this

My wife just hollered at me, anemia. have your iron level checked. Lapacho, Maca, Ground Ivy,and Red Clover.

2. Melindas Mind profile image67
      Melindas Mindposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Has what you eat been discussed with you? Because you need to eat regularly, but what you eat is very important. If you eat something high in carbs you will go up and then rebound really low.

Also, are you seeing a regular doctor or an endocrinologist? Because, honestly, it doesn't sound like you're getting the care you need, and that screams that you've got a primary with a god complex who wouldn't know his a** from a hole in the ground and thinks taking care of your issues should be easy. Don't get me started. lol

4. hinazille profile image82
    hinazilleposted 12 years ago

in response to your questions:

Why does hypoglycemia lead to type 2?

consistently low blood sugar levels due to high concentrations of insulin in the system may result in the receptors becoming desensitised to the insulin eventually - this may result in the onset of diabetes type II as it is characterised by low or insufficient insulin levels. in your case, the insulin levels wouldnt be low, but the response to the insulin will be low.

Does the food you ate on Day 1 affect how your levels are on Day 2?

generally blood glucose levels reflect sugar intake over the last 12 hours or so, but the Hb1ac levels are much more accurate in indicating blood glucose levels as it is a measure of how much sugar is attached to the haemoglobin in the blood. this type of test is done in the hospital/doc's office though, your home test kits will only reflect recent sugar intake.

Why are my hands always cold and get even colder when im getting low?

one reason this may happen is because as your body is in a state of hypoglycaemia, it may think there is not enough sugar in the system, hence it will try to conserve sugar (as opposed to using it to produce heat energy)...

Is there anything other than exercising and eating that can raise my levels when I'm low?

you can try keeping boiled sweets (those you can suck) close by, anytime you feel your blood sugar levels are getting low, you can take one to maintain minimum sugar levels. Also, i know you mentioned besides eating, but you also need to increase complex carbs in your diet so that the glucose from these foods is released slowly into the system as opposed to in one big dose.

hope this helps!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)