jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Are diabetic blood sugar levels higher when you're dehydrated?

1. Catherine Kane profile image80
    Catherine Kaneposted 5 years ago

Are diabetic blood sugar levels higher when you're dehydrated?

I've noticed that, when I first get up in the morning, my blood sugar levels are higher then they are at other times of the day. This doesn't make sense, as I haven't been eating at all while I'm sleeping. Are my levels higher because I haven't been drinking while I'm asleep, am dehydrated and the proportions of sugar to liquid in my blood are therefore higher?

2. profile image0
    kelleywardposted 5 years ago

For me my blood sugar levels rise a little when I'm dehydrated. I'm sure it's different for each person since blood sugar levels are influenced by many factors.

3. Bretsuki profile image77
    Bretsukiposted 5 years ago

Blood glucose levels can rise noticeably when you are dehydrated.

One of the remedies to lower blood glucose levels  if they are moderately high is to drink water.

Drinking water allows two things to happen. First blood volume increases as the water is absorbed into the body.  Secondly the increase in available water then allows the kidneys to remove excess glucose from the blood this is then expelled  from the body in urine.

Blood glucose levels when too high trigger the bodies desire for more liquids, this is why a raging thirst in the absence of factors such as following hard work outs or having nothing to drink on a hot day is symptomatic of Type II Diabetes.

Maintaining good hydration levels is very important in blood glucose control.

1. Catherine Kane profile image80
      Catherine Kaneposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks.

It was the only theory I could come up w/ that accounted for the facts, but its nice to have independant confirmation

4. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years ago

Bretsuki is correct that high blood sugar and dehydration go hand in hand.

I have been a registered nurse for over 3 decades and have worked with many people with diabetes and diabetic emergencies.

However, it's important to understand cause and effect and fluctuation of blood sugar levels over the course of a 24 hour period, especially in relation to diet, exercise and medication. Your hydration status shouldn't change that much during the night, even though you're not drinking.

High blood sugar levels result in dehydration; it's not usually the other way around. The treatment for hyperlycemia in the ICU is IV fluids and insulin to reduce blood sugar level.  In order to understand why your morning blood sugar level is high, it would be helpful to have additional information about diet and medication.

5. TDAPharm profile image82
    TDAPharmposted 5 years ago

Several things, that depend on your SMBG (self-monitored blood glucose) level and disease progression/duration. There are several reasons why some patients have elevated glucose levels in the morning. Two are due to essentially rebound hyperglycemia: 1) Dawn phenomenon, & 2) Somogyi effect. These issues can be due to physiological reaction to diabetes management. Its important to talk to your doctor about this, and he may recommend you check your sugar in the middle of the night to see if perhaps your levels are too low or high, which may affect the titration of your therapy to address these issues.

working