jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How Serious Should A Disease Be For You To Share Its Impact On Your Health With

1. ngureco profile image83
    ngurecoposted 7 years ago

How Serious Should A Disease Be For You To Share Its Impact On Your Health With Friends? You Get...

High Blood Pressure And Its A Secret You Don’t Want Us To Know, But When Diabetes Strikes, You Start Telling Us About That Disease You Are Having. How Serious Should A Disease Be For One To Start Telling The Public You Are A Victim Of That Disease?

2. Jaggedfrost profile image79
    Jaggedfrostposted 7 years ago

the question comes down usually to the intent of your hub or blog.  Usually people don't mind to know on face book what you are going through.  People here usually need a blog type set up to give your situation more then a passing glance.  If you are looking for pity, people universally have a tendency to turn their antennas off.  If you are looking for advise you can post a question and attach a hub that articulates how much you know and where you are in your research.  That sort of situation usually helps people feel the incentive to help you. It all depends.

3. Craan profile image69
    Craanposted 7 years ago

It all depends on the illness. I would be embarrassed to talk about certain issues if it related to a Sexual Transmitted Disease or Mental Illness because of their stigma.
    If I had High Blood Pressure or Diabetes I would also feel a bit shy to speak to my friends about it unless I knew they suffered with it too. I would do massive research on my illness and share some holistic cures with them.
    I feel no one should be sharing with the public my medical profile because it will cause people to judge me in a negative way.

4. teamrn profile image67
    teamrnposted 7 years ago

Some illnesses are rather personal, like STDs. Others, like epilepsy would be one you ought to tell those close to you for obvious safety reasons.

I also look at illness/disease and telling others about them as opportunities for education The education that is received this way leads to increased tolerance.

Some diseases 'come' with an automatic, "I'm sorry, what can I do?" like cancer. Other diseases don't; but should. You're doing a great public service by  saying how this disease alters your life (without writing a book about it).

Keep in mind, though" most people don't want to hear a litany and knock down drag out llst of your complaints. If you've been asked for theem, try to put a + spin on it.

If we had more potential educators about health, the cost woulld inevitably go down.

5. fpherj48 profile image77
    fpherj48posted 6 years ago

I am an extremely private person.....a great listener and supporter for others, but I "share" very little with anyone.  Most of this stems from my upbringing and what I grew up learning is acceptable.  If I were given a diagnosis of an illness, I have no doubt that I would NOT speak of it to anyone other than a close family member or two.  I have a problem with individuals who seem to purge constantly to just anyone, for the sake of TALKING.  Do they want sympathy?  Advice? what is it they hope to acheive by airing personal and/or private issues?  Let's face it, if and when a disease becomes "SERIOUS," it will probably also be obvious.  You wouldn't need to wear a sign.  I also have a problem with people being bold or nosy and ASKING personal questions.  Each person feels differently on this.  I try not to even CRY in public.  Strange, isn't it, how we become who and what we are........