jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What could be causing my pain behind my knee?

1. profile image45
    grewemiesterposted 7 years ago

What could be causing my pain behind my knee?

I broke my right tibia and fibula in a motorcycle accident. Also tore a ligament. 2 plates, 9 screws, and a bone transplant. it's been approx. 7 weeks since. I'm excelling in p.t. This weekend i've had an excruciating pain behind my right knee (top left). It was a sharp pain and also caused some temp. numbness in the same area. This happens when i stretch my leg out and when i swing it back while straight.

2. Lisa HW profile image74
    Lisa HWposted 7 years ago

With all that "repair work" it could probably be anything, and I think it's really important that you call your doctor and report the symptoms immediately.

Numbness can sometimes occur if nerves are affected, but you've just had too much work done not to immediately call your doctor.

Again, any number of things could be causing it, but here's a link about the symptoms of a blood clot and of infection:

I'm not suggesting that's what's causing your pain (because I'm not the least bit qualified to even guess, and neither is anyone else on here).  Who knows...   It could be something related to something going wrong with the "metal work" or to the whole area healing.  On the other hand, I don't think you should take any chances.  Things like infections can happen.  Besides, if something happened with any of that "repair work", if it isn't addressed there's the chance you can have new injury from it.

With all that work to heal from, maybe it's normal; so you shouldn't panic.  Still, again, I don't think you ought to take any chances by not asking a doctor about it.

3. bjspivey-rivers profile image72
    bjspivey-riversposted 7 years ago

Go get it checked out.  Your situation is too complex to be asking random people for advice.  You have hardware in your leg, multiple injuries and you are still recovering from surgery.  Call your doctor or your therapist and get these professionals to help you.  It might be something or it might be nothing but someone who hasn't seen you is not in a position to tell.

4. profile image0
    close2healthposted 7 years ago

You have already suffered to a great extent due to motorcycle accident and this particular pain behind your right knee could be due to varicose veins and hence I would suggest you to visit your doctor to check it out to avoid further complications.  Varicose veins doesn't have a cure with modern medicines but herbal medicines are totally effective in curing this critical ailment without causing side effects.  Boil one tea spoon turmeric powder in a glass of milk and drink daily at breakfast time to get rid of knee pain.  Take care and best of health!