jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

More and more kids are getting diagnosed with ADHD. Why do you think that is?

1. joleenruffin profile image58
    joleenruffinposted 7 years ago

More and more kids are getting diagnosed with ADHD. Why do you think that is?

Do you think kids are getting misdiagnosed, kids in the past were undiagnosed, our diet is affecting our kids?

2. jdavis88 profile image93
    jdavis88posted 7 years ago

Interesting topic!  Could be lack of understanding in the past, overreaction today, overeating of preservatives and complex sugars, or and increasing lack of attention given by parents.  I would guess it is a fair mixture of all.

3. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 7 years ago

It's like today the medical community or should I say the drug manufactures are in a rush to label every symptom. Many years ago there was no such nams as "restless leg syndrome" or other things that seem to pop up dalily in commercials.

It would not surpise me if the same kids being diagnosed today with ADHD would not have been diagnosed with it 30 or 40 years ago.

However if there really is a difference between now and then, my guess is it has something to do with our food and water supplies. There has been a lot more hormones, antibiotics, and other things done to increase the food supply.

At any rate we live in a time where the quick fix is some kind of pill. Each of us would do well to do a little more research before automatically jumping on board by taking every medication that is handed out to us or advertised. After all doctors are only humans and humans make mistakes from time to time.

4. profile image0
    FortunesTaleposted 7 years ago

I have known quite a few kids with ADD, ADHD, etc and they all had one thing in commmon - the parenting, lack of consistent disipline. So in answer to your question, it could be the diets as well - an undisiplined child probally does not get the same healthy foods as a well-brought up child.

But personally I believe it is more the lack of proper parenting that causes the problems - I also believe pychologists love to invent new and not-so-wonderful mental issues (not saying all are invented - I am sure some are quite real) which 9 times out of 10 seem to take responsibilty of actions away from the effected -

As was the case (well from how i saw it) on a news artical I saw a few years back, it basically stated that there is a switch in our brain that stops us from doing wrong things and that switch is not fully active until we are 21(i think that was the age - it was 20 something) so from this "finding" psychologist have given anyone under the age of 21 the right to do what ever they want - because at the end of the day they can't help it.

Anyway I think I went a little off topic - and would like to finish with... I think parents need to raise their kids properly and kids need to learn how to be completly responisble for their own actions.

5. Adam Sherman profile image52
    Adam Shermanposted 7 years ago

Our lifestyle has a part to play in this. "Today's" kids are more comfortable in front of some electronic screen than playing outdoors.  They are spending half as much time outdoors as they did 20 years ago.  Kids 8 - 18 years of age devote 7 - 8 hours a day, on average, using entertainment media.  Research has connected the lack of outdoor time to increased ADHD.  Children who play outside are healthier physically and mentally, and they have better concentration.

6. mandyf profile image66
    mandyfposted 7 years ago

My opinion is that parents dont want to do the parenting anymore they want the medication to do it. Have their kids in a zombie like state so they can continue their busy life and putting careers and objects before their kids. I have 2 kids with adhd and both seem to be fine with a healthy diet and NO MEDICATION. It is about teaching your kids discipline and constructive ways to use up their energy.

working