jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Is making New Year's resolutions a good idea? If so, what is your top resolution

1. Charles K. profile image71
    Charles K.posted 7 years ago

Is making New Year's resolutions a good idea? If so, what is your top resolution for 2011?

Does making New Year's resolutions actually make a lasting difference in our lives or does it just create a temporary bit of unnecessary stress in our lives?

2. Crewman6 profile image72
    Crewman6posted 7 years ago

I think anytime is a great time to make a new resolution; New Years just happens to be a traditional time for rethinking our priorities and making changes. 
    I personally make a resolution to eat better... usually every evening shortly after I finish of the potato chips or M&M's. 
    My new years resolution is to try a little harder to be serious about eating right.

3. bookblog profile image60
    bookblogposted 7 years ago

It's a tradition isn't it?  I like making them as to me it signifies part of the New Year.

I must say though, that in the past I have been guilty of making those wildly impossible resolutions that are made on the spur of the moment, maybe they were alcohol induced,  and were quickly abandoned leading to the guilt factor.

Eg  I am going to lose x number of lbs in January  - never happened
    I am going to stop smoking - never happened

Note: I did stop smoking but not as a result of a New Years Resolution.

There is such a plethora of goal setting info around these days that even that can become a chore so don't make it into one. Leave goal setting for another time.

My take is to keep it lighthearted and in a joyful spirit
    ... smile at people - they do respond
    ... do a good deed each day.  It may sound trite but it's a good thing
    ... take time to listen
    ... be patient with those you love
    ... have fun
    ... slow down

and so on

Think of some ideas with your kids.  Kids are terrific at coming up with these ideas. Now the teacher in me might want to make a chart, I'm chart obsessed but you don't need to, unless you really want to.

... just be nice

I guarantee you will be less stressed and much happier.
    Give it a go.

4. profile image0
    Butch Newsposted 7 years ago

There is no correct answer but making resolutions is a quick way to asses one's current life and can often be the key to making important changes down the road even if the resolution isn't kept.

It can't be bad and should never be stressful... if it is, then that should be a sign that there is actually a serious problem in need of attendance.

5. tinaz profile image53
    tinazposted 7 years ago

The first one is more for me...I think it should be more often for people to get conscious of their lives, their doing and their wills

6. profile image0
    Helpful Hannaposted 7 years ago

It's only a good idea if you choose something practical and specific.  When I go vague and unrealistic, it lasts about a week or so and then disappears.

working