jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

Why do we continue to do things that we know are bad for us?

1. simeonvisser profile image86
    simeonvisserposted 7 years ago

Why do we continue to do things that we know are bad for us?

You know, alcohol, smoking, drugs, lack of exercise, addictions and so on.

2. edekeful profile image80
    edekefulposted 7 years ago

There is a saying: Do you want to die healthy?

I personally think, that some things are just overreacted. Media can blow such a big bubble from a little thing. For example, you can drink, alcohol is a social lubricant. Just do it with caution.

Other things? I think that people do drugs because they want to forget some problems, or just have a good time. Simply like that.

Lack of exercise? It's XXI century you know. Century of laziness:)

3. minakay profile image61
    minakayposted 7 years ago

In my opinion, we do things that we know are bad for us because (a) It is easier to do them than to quit doing them
    (b) It is momentarily enjoyable. We feel excited and the adrenalin seems to pump faster when we go against the grain; as if we dare the unknown and survive.
    (c) From a Christian standpoint, I believe the devil tries to convince us along our lines of thinking that it actually does not matter and that since one has only one life to live, one needs to enjoy it to the fullest.
    I hope I have answered your question.

4. Ashantina profile image60
    Ashantinaposted 7 years ago

because it feels OR tastes so darn good smile

5. Pablo_Gonzalez profile image59
    Pablo_Gonzalezposted 7 years ago

I believe the answer is simple, we do things that are the easiest whether they are good for us or not.

The thought of doing something you've never done and stepping outside of our comfort zone is one of the greatest fears we as people have.

This is why so very few people are actually successful in life and the majority only complain about their situation but are not willing to change anything about it.

It the feeling of comfort that keeps us doing the wrong things.

6. tyronecomania profile image57
    tyronecomaniaposted 7 years ago

i believe that life has plenty of surprises and trials and so,other people are still continuing to do things that they know were bad for them because they want to experience something that would really make their life worth living for.

7. Rebecca Saunders profile image61
    Rebecca Saundersposted 7 years ago

From an addiction point of view: the negative impact of doing drugs or drinking to excess (or other behaviour that may be destructive to us) seems less painful than facing the deepest pain felt within - which is temporarily numbed by the addiction.

When we are truly congruent with the desire and intention to do something healthy or positive, and that has a stronger pull than the negative behaviour, then you will find change.

...and sometimes, hey, that chocolate bar, glass of wine or extra tv show is just a bit of fun!

8. C.V.Rajan profile image78
    C.V.Rajanposted 7 years ago

Good things are boring; bad things are entertaining. That's why.

9. home witch profile image83
    home witchposted 7 years ago

Perhaps because we are foolish and lazy. I suppose we sometimes just have a desire to self-destruct.

10. Sarah Masson profile image69
    Sarah Massonposted 7 years ago

Good question!! I think these things turn into habits therefore it's hard to stop doing them. I just quit smoking after seven years though so that's a good start smile

11. Anjili profile image81
    Anjiliposted 7 years ago

It is written that man's heart is desparately wicked and always seeking for new ways to do evil things.

working