Why do you continue eating things that are bad for you?

Jump to Last Post 1-43 of 43 discussions (69 posts)
  1. gkeystofatloss profile image60
    gkeystofatlossposted 14 years ago

Too much of everything leads to disaster and discontent. Eating sweets, sticky buns and grease covered foods will never make you lose weight. This is a fact in which we always make a mistake out of. It hurts but that is the bitter pill to swallow.

So why do you continue eating things that are bad for you?

1. The Donkey profile image60
      The Donkeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

They taste much better than healthy things. If it was the other way around, we'd be in much better shape. Except, fat people would get made fun of more often...so, mentally it wouldn't be good.

2. drej2522 profile image67
      drej2522posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, for one thing, the taste is unbelievable! Honestly, the unhealthy foods seem to be more readily available...ehh, convenience and laziness!

3. profile image0
      Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Some of us aren't obsessed with our weight. Some of us just want to enjoy life. Yes, I try to stay healthy, but everything is fine in moderation. And, if I gain a few extra pounds, it really doesn't concern me much.

4. Hokey profile image60
      Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I didn't know women were bad for me!!!   yikes

5. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

because i like them wink

6. pinkboxer profile image61
      pinkboxerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No food is bad in itself. How we approach the eating of that food is another matter. Eat in moderation. Limit salt and sugar in our diets.

7. profile image59
      logic,commonsenseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Because she tastes so sweet?

8. personaltraining profile image46
      personaltrainingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you gotta LIVE, man!

I love pizza, but I know if I eat too much of it I'm going to get fat. The satisfaction I get from staying in shape outweighs (no pun intended) the enjoyment of eating pizza... so I make sure I only indulge maybe once every few weeks.

9. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wrote an article a while back on food combining..How you can eat both carbohydrates and protein as long as you eat them separately.
      I wanted to bring the article here and make a hub about it..but it would have been a duplicate...you can read it here.. How To Lose Weight Through Food Combining

10. Disturbia profile image60
      Disturbiaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Because they taste good!

2. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Ummm...because they taste good?

3. Lynda Gary profile image59
    Lynda Garyposted 14 years ago

I'm happy to say that I don't, but the reason MOST do is because we live in a society of "instant gratification" and "convenience."  As a society, we are both lazy and over burdened, burning the candle at both ends AND in the middle, too tired to deal with the basics (like nutrition and exercise).

Though I'm REALLY good about what I eat, I suck at taking the time to exercise.  It's a "put off till tomorrow" issue with me as I grow thicker. Even with my nearly perfect diet, I grow and grow (especially now that I'm menopausal).

4. alexandriaruthk profile image69
    alexandriaruthkposted 14 years ago

they make me happy after eating it specially lots of fries and chips while watching TV

5. profile image0
    Poppa Bluesposted 14 years ago

Gotta agree with Habee... I love food! In our culture it's not only nourishment, it's a form of entertainment and I suppose that re-enforces the urge to eat!

6. donotfear profile image82
    donotfearposted 14 years ago

Cause I have an addiction and an eating problem.

7. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

Me too habee and Poppa B!  Good food is not something to turn down lightly.

8. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

unhealthy food is addicting due to its convenience and yummy taste!

then, when you try to go back to eating healthy food, the desire no longer exists cuz it doesn't appeal to the altered taste buds  sad

9. Christene profile image60
    Christeneposted 14 years ago

They are quick and yummy...and I'm not trying to lose weight.

10. timorous profile image80
    timorousposted 14 years ago

It's because you (and the advertisers) have conditioned your mind and tastebuds to think junk food is tastier.

If you were to wean yourself off the bad stuff, eventually you'll find 'real' food to be quite delicious.  It's also a matter of changing your mindset.  Check out my 2 hubs, and my website.

11. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

What food is bad for you? I don't get how people always think that there is such a food category.

As long as you eat in moderation and maintain some type of exercise routine....regardless of what you eat or drink...you can be do whatever you want.

Just a thought. smile

1. confused barbie profile image59
      confused barbieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was just about to say that! Great minds think alike smile

2. _cheryl_ profile image84
      _cheryl_posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I couldn't say it any better! smile

12. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

All foods are good for us, but much of what passes for food today has been so over processed and altered that it can hardly be called food anymore.
    If it is full of hydogenated oils, high fructose corn syrup, chemicals, hormones, solvents, thickeners, colors, artificial flavors and other non-food ingredients-- it's not food, it's a science experiment gone awry.

13. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

Who eats Fake Food?

We eat Fake Food!

Who eats Fake Food?

We eat Fake Food! 

yeah!!  lol

14. profile image0
    sophsposted 14 years ago

I wish chips were healthy and salad was baaaaaadd!!!! smile

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol lol lol

1. profile image0
        sophsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

big_smilebig_smilebig_smile

15. Greg Cremia profile image61
    Greg Cremiaposted 14 years ago

Bad foods not only taste better but they are cheaper and easier to get.

1. timorous profile image80
      timorousposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not true. 

I spend considerably less buying 'real' vegetables and fruits and other natural ingredients,  making my own meals than anything you could buy ready-made.  Besides, the stuff I make doesn't have tons of salt and sugar and preservatives.

You can enjoy your junk food now, but you'll pay for it later in life.

1. profile image0
        china manposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree completely - except that I like to think it gives me control over the salt and sugar (and occasionally msg actually) rather than it being slipped past me in tins and packets.

16. Bill Manning profile image69
    Bill Manningposted 14 years ago

Uh, I don't. If you just give up bad crap food for a month you no longer even have a craving for it. Your just conditioned to it, like someone here already said.

I eat no soda, cookies, cupcakes, none of that. What I DO have is one mini sized candy bar a day to satisfy my sweet tooth. Nothing else. smile

1. rebekahELLE profile image86
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ditto what bill says.

I've cut out soda, candy, chips, stuff I used to love, but that's exactly what it is, stuff, it's not real food.

once you stop eating it, you don't crave it.

once in a while, I have the real dark chocolate, but I haven't bought or eaten a candy bar for years.

1. profile image0
        china manposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes - I found it amazing how the less chocolate I eat the more bitter and black I like it!

Here I only get 'our kinds' of chocolate at the foreign supermarket - I put it on my list of wants before I go but never seem to bother buying it anymore; I think I want it but actually I don't ?!

17. lovelypaper profile image56
    lovelypaperposted 14 years ago

Alot of foods that are bad for you taste very good. I eat junk all the time, but recently, I'm trying to make a few small changes. I love to eat and love my sweets. I think sometimes I use food to comfort me, especially if I'm sad or worried.

1. profile image0
      sophsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I do that too sad

18. profile image0
    china manposted 14 years ago

I live by an actually super market where we buy fresh vegetables from the people who grow them, meat is from animals killed this morning and chickens that you get to meet in person. This is nothing like the joke supermarket that just means bigger and more expensive.

Bread is baked, or steamed here actually, fresh all day as you want it, etc., etc.

Snacks are nuts and seeds and a range of pickled things that I have not finished exploring yet.

The difference is that we eat unprocessed foods all the time and processed food very soon comes to taste like the salt and chemical laden, expensive, junk stuffed illusion that it really is. Like Bill says - give it up and the craving stops, the problem for you is keeping it up when there is so little else available around you.

The reason it is here is the existence of an amazingly healthy micro market economy where almost everyone is a real entrepreneur and there is real free trade - the other side of the communist coin.

1. Sab Oh profile image56
      Sab Ohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL! A paradise on earth!

Don't forget the heavy metals in the water your super-healthy veggies were grown in. Don't forget the infectious diseases that regularly ravage the 'just killed now' animals you enjoy eating, chemicals in the milk and on the disposable chopsticks you have used recently, and the very frequent outbreaks of food poisoning.

Don't overdo it.

19. Betty Reid profile image61
    Betty Reidposted 14 years ago

I have to agree with Lynda Gary - lack of self-discipline.  I have two main reasons. 1) I really like it a lot, such as chocolate, or 2) I like it a little and someone put it in front of me, such as donuts at work, cheese at a cocktail party, French bread at the grocery store.  I guess the third choice might be convenience, but I'd put that under reason #2.

20. Alya rose profile image60
    Alya roseposted 14 years ago

Believe it or not,but not all of us are obssesed with our weight,I'd rather enjoy the many pleasures in life with a full satisfied stomach,than a puny salad that barley fills the plate and leaves you wanting.

21. Oona Seckar profile image60
    Oona Seckarposted 14 years ago

Because my boyfriend buys me 'treats'.  I don't miss junkfood and stuff like that when it's not in the house: but when it is...

22. Rod Marsden profile image68
    Rod Marsdenposted 14 years ago

Right now where I am things that are bad to eat actually cost less than fresh food. Also it is difficult to know if so-called fresh food is actually fresh with the methods some supermarkets employ on their produce.

23. samboiam profile image61
    samboiamposted 14 years ago

Because I have to die of something.

24. gracenotes profile image91
    gracenotesposted 14 years ago

I've got the exercise habit down.  It's working for me.

I find the most difficult time of the year for junk food is during the winter, when there just aren't many fresh vegetables available.

During the spring and summer, it's great, because I can go to the farmer's market and load up on the really fresh vegetables.

I'm working on my gardening skills.  I hope it will help me to eat more fresh veggies.

25. Greek One profile image62
    Greek Oneposted 14 years ago

I blame society and those bastard enablers at McDonalds

26. Rod Marsden profile image68
    Rod Marsdenposted 14 years ago

there is a drought on where I am and others are using THAT as an excuse to make good food too expensive.

27. George Greene Jr. profile image60
    George Greene Jr.posted 14 years ago

I work outdoors alot and my only means of transportation is a bicycle. In the hot summers we have here in Florida, that causes a lot of sweat which while oozing out of the pores is taking some necessary nutrients out withit. yes the body does need a degree of salt to help with hydration and sugars for energy. So since i need to replenish those nutrients I have exhausted, I find nothing better than an electrlyte drink with a salty ham and cheese(yes both contain healthy levels of salt in the processing and curing of them) and I get my sugars from the dressing. Some consider pizza a fattening food also when it actually can be helpful if you put on the right toppings. A salad on the side is not a bad idea as well to replace the sweated out vitamins and minerals. So for some of us "bad" food is actually a good food!!!

28. Amber Allen profile image61
    Amber Allenposted 14 years ago

Perhaps it's the theobromine, caffeine and phenlyethylamine in the chocolate.  Or then again it might just be the great taste!!!!

29. torimari profile image70
    torimariposted 14 years ago

Because that is what I had eaten all my life. My tastebuds were literally dead...only fat and sugar satisfied them I thought.

When I turned vegetarian, largely for diet and weaned myself away from constant crap, I discovered that I found a taste for many healthy foods. I also learned how to prepare them together and not only do they taste great, but I physically feel better.

I found a middle ground, and though I do have some junk once in awhile, if I eat too much of it I feel crappy again and even look it. Dry skin and hair...sleepy, etc.
    I just can't go back to eating crap consistently, but I can see why people think healthy food tastes bad. Until they both learn to prepare it as well as feel and see the benefits for a few months, it's easy to fall back to comfort food.

I find the produce is more expensive that crappy food excuse hirarious.

30. timorous profile image80
    timorousposted 14 years ago

Yeah, you've got the right idea, torimari.  You need to keep a healthy balance without being too anal about it.

As far as fruits and veggies being more expensive, it depends where you live.  If you live in a small town or country that is too far away from where the food is produced, it will inevitably cost more to ship a smaller volume of fresh food in a timely manner.

However, you should consider fresh fruits and vegetables etc. an essential part of your diet.  You either pay now or pay later (in healthcare costs).

31. profile image0
    StormRyderposted 14 years ago

I eat all the foods I love and have never dieted, I do however watch the portion sizes. I eat about 4-5 times a day and have snacks also.
    I do exercise to stay fit and healthy...I might workout too much??

32. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I'm not among the worst of "bad eaters", and I wouldn't EVER eat a sticky bun (yuk).  Don't eat greasy food either.  I do eat some thing that aren't the healthiest (mostly salty foods with more salt on them, or soy-sauce-covered food).

Why?  Because I'm not a big fan of most foods.  I don't like a whole lot of things.  So, if there's a food here or there that I really enjoy, it's just kind of good to find it.  I like a lot of healthy foods, but a lot of them are kind of harsh on the stomach if you're really hungry.  I'm not someone who eats if I'm not hungry.  I don't eat for taste either.  I eat because I'm hungry, but I hope to find something that isn't "gross".  Two things I really enjoy are coffee (ideally, with lots of cream) and tea; but those aren't foods - so I'm sometimes guilty of something like saltine crackers and tuna salad (with loads of salt) for dinner.  hmm  Sometimes, too, I'm guilty of peanut-butter cups for lunch - easy, quick, not gross - and go really well with coffee.  smile

33. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

Krispy Kreme forever!
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3267/2716992096_4a149e040a.jpg

1. profile image0

Those donuts look so good, I am suddenly hungry.

34. Origin profile image59
    Originposted 14 years ago

I usually don't eat too unhealthy, and it's not because I'm doing that intentionally. I guess it's just the way I normally eat. But when I do eat the occasional greasy food.. Mmmmm... *rubs tummy*....

35. profile image0

Yeah, I think I need to run out and get me some. See ya later. *looks for car keys and wallet*

1. profile image0

I'll just print the picture and eat the paper.

36. profile image0

I had three of them Deborah. yum How was your paper? he he

1. profile image0

Very good. Thank you for bringing the donuts.

They were lean with hardly any fat or sugar.

37. profile image0

LOL I bet they were. Milk, or coffee? LOL

1. profile image0

Coffee...never milk for me...
      I dunked one a couple of times in my coffee.... smile

38. profile image0

Tooo funny woman! ha ha like the little tramp eating his shoe. ah ha ha paper tigers and doughnuts!

1. profile image0

Thanks for the Laugh Ralwus smile
      I hope you have a very nice day.

39. thisisoli profile image77
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

Why fail to enjoy life?

You can eat plenty of bad foods without having adverse affects if you eat them in moderation.

1. premierkj profile image68
      premierkjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

and you can be very careful, eating healthy, never drinking or smoking and still drop dead at any moment.

40. SixPackExercises profile image61
    SixPackExercisesposted 14 years ago

4 reasons most people do
    1 unhealthy foods are generally the ones that are more convienient and you don't have to cook
    2 most unhealthy foods taste better
    3 when you were young you were given "treats" so when you get depressed you bring back fond memories and feelings by eating.
    4 You only live once, why not enjoy things you like (just hope you enjoy them in moderation)

41. aimeeSF profile image66
    aimeeSFposted 14 years ago

I get sucked in because I know it all tastes good... and I'd rather eat chocolate than carrots & a light dip.  I'm trying to be better about it though!!

42. MikeNV profile image66
    MikeNVposted 14 years ago

I don't eat things that are bad for me.

43. profile image0
    Wendi Mposted 14 years ago

Because I am madly in love with ice cream!  But I am in no way out of shape!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)