jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Why do we automatically fall asleep?

1. Anjili profile image82
    Anjiliposted 7 years ago

Why do we automatically fall asleep?

Are there animals that do not sleep?

2. petertheknight profile image77
    petertheknightposted 7 years ago

I don't automatically fall asleep...I don't know about you though.  It takes me a while...

3. ramadona2009 profile image58
    ramadona2009posted 7 years ago

fatigue that makes us automatically fall asleep

4. dosters profile image85
    dostersposted 7 years ago

We fall asleep every night due primarily to our circadian rhythms and our stimulus response to darkness.

Sharks and other fish, as well as most marine animals don't sleep, as they need to keep water moving through their gills (or other oxygen processing structures) to breathe or come up to the surface to breathe periodically (think marine mammals like whales and dolphins).

5. Mrs asif profile image57
    Mrs asifposted 7 years ago

Due to the natural clock in our brain which is thought to be regulated by pineal body/gland in our brain.About animals they do also sleep fish,birds,etc..... may be there sleeping times are different like owl sleep in the day .but i think all rest .

6. Ruchira profile image76
    Ruchiraposted 7 years ago

I don't think we fall asleep automatically. If our mind and body are in synch about it then, we are able to shut off ourselves from our surroundings and problems.

7. profile image0
    reeltaulkposted 7 years ago

Because it's in our nature as well as it is natural, comes with the territory.  Of course there are animals that don't sleep, it's their nature not to!

8. profile image0
    Butch Newsposted 7 years ago

We have a conscious and sub-conscious mind and the conscious mind seems to need to shut down to defragment from time to time.  It seems to be built in and relaxing the conscious mind seems to allow it to let go of control for a while.

There are definite changes in body chemistry that promote sleep... such as having a big meal and becoming sleepy.

9. Rosie2010 profile image75
    Rosie2010posted 7 years ago

I wish I could automatically fall asleep.  That would be awesome.  although I have no problem sleeping, I had to read first before I get sleepy enough to turn off the light.  And even then, it will usually take a minute or two, sometimes more, to fall asleep.  I'm not sure about animals.. I believe all animals sleep too.

Have a nice day,
    Rosie

working