jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Do you know someone who has a mental illness?

1. Danette Watt profile image84
    Danette Wattposted 7 years ago

Do you know someone who has a mental illness?

I know people who have been diagnosed with various mental illnesses. Relationships with them are often challenging.

2. GdessLacey profile image58
    GdessLaceyposted 7 years ago

Yes I know several people with different illnesses. It is all in how you are able to handle the situations that come up. That's what I've found anyway. Because with different people and different situations they each require different responses. I myself am bipolar and come from several bipolar people and I have a hard time dealing with myself sometimes. I hope that made sense. lol

3. slwade profile image57
    slwadeposted 7 years ago

Yeah I know what you mean I know people with Mental Ilnesses and am a depression sufferer myself. Some days you can be fine and others are really bad and its hard to see the poeple you love panic about your every move. I sometimes shout at my mum for asking so many questions and worrying about who I'm with and what I might do, but I know she just loves me and doesnt want me to come to any harm. The best thing for me is a sit down and a hug - from anyone. A hug is one of the best feelings ever lol.

4. tysanders profile image60
    tysandersposted 7 years ago

My sister has never been diagnosed but I'm pretty sure she is bi-polar. This has placed a huge strain on our relationship.

5. profile image0
    Multimanposted 7 years ago

I have two sons 22 and 24 who have mental illness, schizophrenia to be exact, now under medication they are dealing with it.  It is a hard road to be on.  Everytime there is a budget cut in government the first things cut are the defenceless.

6. cobrien profile image77
    cobrienposted 7 years ago

I, myself, have Type 2 Bipolar Disorder, as does a daughter. I have a son with autism and schizophrenia. We struggle in all our relationships. It's almost as if we have several personalities and they all aren't very nice.

7. Hellcat profile image60
    Hellcatposted 7 years ago

I've actually suffered from varying degrees of mental illness since i was a child. I didn't know it then, as I was never diagnosed, but I used to experience hallucinations, racing thoughts and an almost out of body experience where I felt like I was floating and I couldn't feel my limbs...it was like I didn't have a body anymore. So scary. I was too young to explain it to my mum, and she didn't take me seriously. I now know this to be symptoms related to schizophrenia. I also remember being obsessive compulsive about my daily activities, always driven by extreme fear. I was ridiculously hyperactive and disobedient and if the ADHD label had been around then I would have had it stuck on my head for sure! As I aged the schizophrenic episodes stopped at around 16, about the same time I got into heavy drug/alcohol abuse. I have suffered from intense anxiety, panic attacks and depression my whole adult life and it wasn't until recently it was discovered by my nutritionist that I had a genetic condition, known as Pyroluria. This biochemical imbalance was at the root of my mental illness. Since beginning a nutritional program, changing my diet, and incorporating new lifetstyle habits, I'm finally finding some peace in my life. I'm not 100% but I no longer have panic attacks, my anxiety levels are minimal and mostly aggravated after a really rough few nights sleep with my kids. Sleep deprivation is a killer! Anyway I wanted to share my story, not that I believe my answer is everyones answer, but it's definately food for thought.