jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What is the purpose of life?

1. Mpho Mokobi profile image40
    Mpho Mokobiposted 7 years ago

What is the purpose of life?

Why are we here? Why do we live?

2. Merlin Fraser profile image77
    Merlin Fraserposted 7 years ago

Why do you think we need one ?

We are but one of many animal species on this planet, and the simple purpose of all species is to pass on our genes to the next generation.  Nothing more and nothing less.

However, having said that there should be a higher degree of natural selection going on.  IE The female of the species should only be interested in selecting the strongest, fitest and smartist male to breed with and thus ensure those traits are inherited by her offspring.

As you can see this process has somewhat broken down in the human species with all males being allowed to breed and the main mass of females not caring about who or what the breed with.

So you end up with a gross over populated species made up mainly of weak willed and largely useless examples who will undoutedly go on to breed the next generation.

3. mahadevank profile image68
    mahadevankposted 7 years ago

The Eastern Philosophical Answer:

To discover the truth, which in essence is to discover the true nature of yourself.

Latin confirmation of the above: Te nosce(Know Thyself)

The greeks also had a similar statement.

Science, doesn't essentially dive into identity, and so stays clear, since it doesn't involve either matter or energy.

4. MickS profile image72
    MickSposted 7 years ago

Not another meaning/purpose of life question, everyone knows it's 42, read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

5. toknowinfo profile image88
    toknowinfoposted 7 years ago

We may never know, but we certainly spend a lot of time trying to figure it out.

6. Zubair Ahmed profile image79
    Zubair Ahmedposted 7 years ago

I love this question.  Being a religious person my answer is:

For a purpose and that is to live your life in accordance to the revealed guidance i the form of the holy books.  Then you die and will have to answer for your actions in this world.

All the best