I Need Help From The Brits

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (45 posts)
  1. Harvey Stelman profile image60
    Harvey Stelmanposted 14 years ago

Lately we are hearing much on the news that is negative on your health-care, it has gone on for a week or so. Are problems coming to the front? Please tell me the story, as seen locally.

Harvey Stelmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wasn't looking to argue, I wanted to know if something was going wrong. Figuring the other side of the pond knew more, I simply asked a question.

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Harvey, we were not arguing with you. There are people on here that will not let this particular political issue rest.

As per my first response, what problems have you heard? If you tell me what you have heard, I would be happy to confirm whether or not it is  a) true, or b) propoganda. The likelyhood is that some of it would be true and some of it would be untrue. I say that as a Brit, who lives in the UK, has used the NHS himself just yesterday!, and would be more than willing to discuss your concerns.

The UK government is looking to slash the cost of running the NHS by £20bn (about $30bn). There are concerns about how this can be achieved, but the government are clear that this will not be as a result of job losses. Instead, they will drag up the performance of those hospitals achieving under-average levels of output to match the current average levels of output. This would save money.

If that is what you have heard recently, then yes this is an area of concern with Brits who do not want any cut backs in the NHS budget (contrary to the opinions of many US citizens, who clearly wish for no money to be spent on public health care).

If this is not what you have heard Harvey, then please explain and allow me to discuss.

Regards,

Ryan.

I have heard things on different news reports, so i can not post non-written words. There were a few stories in the past week.

1. profile image0

Well you are asking me to comment about problems with the NHS. If you are unwilling to say what you heard, then I cant help you.

The only problem the Brits are having with the NHS are concerns about potential budget cuts.

If that is what you have heard, then yes that is a problem. If that is not what you have heard, then this is American propoganda.

Our prime minister, and our shadow prime minister, have already spoken out against America with regards to these half truths and scaremongering.

Apologies if I sound brash, but our whole country is on the defensive against constant lies in the American media in the past two months about our health service.

Thats all that I can say unless you are prepared to explain what exactly it is that you have heard.

I do wonder why you bothered asking the question if you cannot be bothered to explain it in any depth.

Ryan,

They were interviewing Brits that were not able to get surgeries and others that had to wait to see doctor's. I'm sure that didn't help but I didn't have a pen to take down their names.

f I was the head of any country, I would not trus our President. You can read my HUB'S, most are against him. He is a COMMUNIST!

2. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

Why dont you start by telling me what problems you have heard? The NHS does have certain problems, but much of what I have heard from Americans and certain American political figures is complete rubbish. The British were so appalled by some comments that a national newspaper launched a campaign on twitter which got hundreds of thousands of supportive responses and crashed twitter twice.

You list everything that you have heard, and I will tell you if its true. Im sure that some of it will be true, some of it wont..... Fire....

3. Mrvoodoo profile image57
    Mrvoodooposted 14 years ago

These threads from a few weeks back may be of interest to you:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/19375#post304831
    http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/19310

* I personally know of nobody within the UK without love for the NHS, from what I can tell it was all yet another American smear campaign.

1. profile image0

In fairness, he may be talking about proposed efficiency measures designed to save £20bn, these have been talked about in the past couple of days. I cant defend this until I see how they intend to save this money.

I am 99% certain that anything else he would have heard would be the standard propoganda that has been debated and defended to death by us Brits on hubpages for the last month or so....

1. Mrvoodoo profile image57
        Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ah right, sorry, thought it was the same old same, and now Nicomps turned up I'm out of this thread before I lose the little faith I have left in human decency. smile

1. nicomp profile image61
          nicompposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol. We'll miss you!

2. profile image0

You and me both mate..... Else I will need NHS treatment for manic depression triggered by extreme bordom and frustration.

As I always say, don't let the facts get in the way of your 99% surety. Thinking people will read my links and address them. Enjoy your fish and chips.

1. profile image0

Actually its beef stew and dumplings tonight. Fish and Chips night has passed, and they were very tasty. Enjoy your.... errr.... McDonalds? KFC? Burger King? Subway? Dunkin Donuts?

McDonald's Angus burger is quite good. Perhaps Chik-Fil-A this afternoon. Do you have that?

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
                  Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I knew you were a junk food man. wink

@ the OP

I have lived in both countries and the British system is far superior an the whole. Of course it fails in some instances and there is abuse that goes on.

2. profile image0

I cant say that I have heard of a Chik-Fil-A, unless that is what we know simple as a Chicken Fillet Burger..... but yes I do like the Angus burger.

You can have Burger King back though.... I have a breakfast there today on route to a job interview, had to put it in the bin!

Chik-Fil-A is a national chain of chicken joints. Their mascot is a cow who says "Eat more Chikin".

4. nicomp profile image61
    nicompposted 14 years ago

The Brits ration health care.

"Adjusted for population, the United
    States currently has about four times as
    many (CT) scanners as Britain does"
    http://www.brookings.edu/comm/policybriefs/pb147.pdf

"Waiting Times. Waiting lists are a huge problem in Great Britain. Some examples: 750,000 are on waiting lists for hospital admission; 40% of cancer patients are never able to see an oncologist; there is explicit rationing for services such as kidney dialysis, open heart surgery and care for the terminally ill. Further, minimum waiting times have been instituted to reduce costs. "A top-flight hospital like Suffolk Est PCT was ordered to impose a minimum waiting time of at least 122 days before patients could be treated or the hospital would lose a portion of its funding.""

http://www.cprights.org/2008/04/health- … ritain.php

http://catholicexchange.com/2009/01/07/115087/

1. profile image0

750,000 are on waiting lists for hospital admission - Do you never have to make an appointment to see a doctor about minor issues? I have been to hospital 4 times in the past 3 weeks, have another appointment for next week, and this all relates to one minor issues. I have been on that waiting list, and come off that waiting list, 4 times in 4 weeks.

Suffolk PCT recieves an average of just 30 complaints per quarter. It serves around 750,000 people. Suffolk neighbours my own county, dont try and tell me that you know more than the 3 relatives I have that work there.

Look I cant even be bothered to talk to a parrot.... change the record.

Original Poster - read those links provided by Mrvoodoo.Our health care system is way above the US in the world rankings, costs 8% of our GDP, as opposed to your 16%, we have a longer life expectancy than the USA, and the vast majority of us Brits have a very strong appreciation for our health care service. Not to mention the fact that everybody in the country gets it (no rationing by the way, my 74 year old grandad has been kept alive by the NHS for the past five years at the cost of tens of thousands of pounds, with no invoice, he even has a carer visit him to get him out of bed every single morning - again, no charge. He has cancer, has had strokes, he wears a catheter - he has been kept alive with no expense spared).

Dont be fooled by propoganda. If you or I were to lie as much as American politicians about the NHS, we would be taken for to the cleaners for libel/slander.

If our healthcare system lacks in anyway, it still far surpasses the American system. And that is respected worldwide.

2. kephrira profile image60
      kephriraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Part of the problems with American healthcare is massive overprescription of medicine and overuse of expensive equipment because doctors and hospitals make more money from more procedures. There is no rationing of the use of CT scanners in the NHS, we just don't need as many cos we don't over use them.
      As for '40 of cancer patients in Britain never see an oncologist' - where did you get that from? All cancer patients in the UK see an oncologist, regardless of their job or how much money they have for insurance.

True, you don't need medicine when you're sent home to live out your life.

A CT scan is a diagnostic device, not treatment.

1. kephrira profile image60
          kephriraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What's that got to do with it? I was just saying their use isn't rationed, thats just a myth.

2. profile image0

1) He didnt say it was a treatment.

2) There are no cancer patients that do not get to see an Oncologist, unless they are in the final days of their life before bothering to phone a doctor.

3) I know dozens of people who have had cancer scares, all people are seen pretty much immediately. My grandad was diagnosed with cancer early enough for him to be alive 17 years later - still with that cancer. Try telling him that the NHS lacks in cancer care, he would not be able to afford to stay alive in the US. America puts a price on life. For me, and most people in the world, thats the one area where Capitalism has no place.

I can't dispute your anecdotal evidence and I respect it. We do differ on the price of life: every country puts a price on it, especially those countries with socialized medicine. In America each person sets their own price. In Britain you let the government do it. Does Britain operate on a balanced budget or does the government run a deficit?

1. profile image0

Right now, our country is borrowing money and building up national debt. But nowhere as much as America has (and is) of course. Our borrowing has risen sharply since the start of the financial crisis - we bailed out our banks, just like you. The economic situation pretty much mirrors that of the US, which is no suprise.

The NHS is funded directly by tax revenue. No money is borrowed specifically for the purpose of funding a national health service. And you do not need to be reminded that we spend 8% of our GDP on healthcare, whilst you spend 16% and still have 42million people who are not entitled to it.

2. Amanda Severn profile image94
        Amanda Severnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A friend of my colleague was diagnosed with terminal cancer last week, and he was in the office visiting yesterday. He's still pretty chirpy despite the diagnosis. This is his third lot of cancer over a twenty year period and consequently he has refused chemotherapy because he knows it will only add weeks rather than years. He is in his late sixties and can't speak highly enough of the NHS and the speed with which he was seen, and the range of treatments offered and received. But of course, if these people would sooner believe the spurious claims of those who clearly have an axe to grind, then so be it.......

Anecdotal evidence. I suppose I could trot out an American who loves his health care and a Brit who feels slighted... that's not how we resolve these issues.

5. nicomp profile image61
    nicompposted 14 years ago

Treatment of Coronary Artery Disease: What Does Rationing Do?
    http://www.brookings.edu/comm/policybriefs/pb148.pdf

6. JamesCurtis profile image61
    JamesCurtisposted 14 years ago

This kind of thing makes me so mad! People come on here spouting half truths based on hearsay or a one off personal experience.

Seriously Ryan, how can you want to get rid of Buger King based on one lousy breakfast? Anyone who knows anything will tell you the BK is pretty much the best for burgers, but you NEVER have the breakfast.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

All that stuff is garbage. You want a real barbecue burger - you have to make it yourself. wink

1. JamesCurtis profile image61
        JamesCurtisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Impossible! Some of the best scientific minds in the world have dedicated their lives to making the Double Whopper with Cheese. How could one man improve in that using only food and heat?

2. Daniel Carter profile image62
      Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL. And silly me was thinking this response was going to be about the halftruths of healthcare!!

Such a relief that healthcare is not as big an issue as breakfast at a fast food joint.

I personally think that American insurance companies have a lot to do with all the negative press regarding US healthcare reform. An article on CNN pretty much proves it:

http://us.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/08/17/p … index.html

(Hope the link still works)

For me it's not all one or the other. (As far as for or against proposed reform).

There is a lot of fear and animosity being spread by conservatives and liberals alike in the US, and it makes it all the more difficult for the average American to get real facts.

As for BK, you're on your own. I don't eat there and rarely eat at any fast food holes. BLECH.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
        Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's just that this topic has been beaten to death on the forums.

I don't like BK either and I try to avoid McDonalds.

3. profile image0

lol sorry, but its McDonalds all the way for me. Although I try and avoid them all to be honest, once every two weeks for me wink I much prefer supporting the local chippy than feeding (excuse the pun) the corporate machine.

7. wrenfrost56 profile image56
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

Personally I love the NHS, I am very greatfull. We are very fortunate to have a system of great, free care.

it's not free.

1. wrenfrost56 profile image56
        wrenfrost56posted 14 years agoin reply to this

O.K. not free, but I think it's well worth paying taxes for! If your ill you get treated, you don't need insurance and those on benafits or lower incomes are intitled to the same treatment as those with better income/wealth.

2. Amanda Severn profile image94
        Amanda Severnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

She didn't say it was. And your point is?

8. Helen Cater profile image60
    Helen Caterposted 14 years ago

My husband had a heart attack 6 weeks ago. The NHS were faqntastic. He was in hospital 4 days and they have provided weekly rehab. We have private health care but had no need to use it. Waiting lists for very minor ops is probably high, but thats because more serious cases overide them. If you are going to dye from something you will be seen very quickly. I have never had any need to complain about the service. Our NHS is brill.

1. wrenfrost56 profile image56
      wrenfrost56posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am sorry to hear about your feller, I hope he is better and I agree with you I think the NHS is great.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)