jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

My mom has always been very moody but she is now 72 and still is. what could be

1. profile image49
    ob2vera`posted 7 years ago

My mom has always been very moody but she is now 72 and still is. what could be wrong with her?

she gets angry when people don't agree with her, and is very negative and criticizes everyone. she stays angry for days over little things.

2. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 7 years ago

It sounds like she has a moody personality. While some people do mellow out over time, age doesn't mean that your personality will drastically change. Just because she's 72 now, doesn't mean she'll stop acting like she always has. Everyone is different, and some people are just easily irritated or upset, or enjoy being negative.

3. Chatkath profile image79
    Chatkathposted 7 years ago

I think the behavior that your Mother is exhibiting is unfortunately not that unusual for many seniors. Although I don't think there really is a canned "solution", I do think there are things that would greatly improve your Mother's situaton. I would suggest trying to encourage as much activity as possible for your Mother. She may not be very receptive to the idea, so I know it won't be easy but perhaps if she is made to feel like her involvement would really benefit another, less fortunate, she may be more willing to get outside herself for awhile. There are usually senior centers that have programs that handle just this kind of problem. Most of the time, there are jobs and projects that seniors can sign up for that not only provide income but make them feel productive and useful as they once did.
    If you do feel that her condition is more severe, she may need a mild antidepressant like zoloft or something but this would mean consulting her physician which may be helpful at this juncture anyway. I wish you luck with your Mother, do try and utilize as many outside resources as you can in your community as they do exist and they are very familiar with this kind of problem. She is lucky to have someone that cares!

4. Thesource profile image78
    Thesourceposted 7 years ago

Irritability is a sign of depression. I would get her to be evaluated by a medical professional who specializes in such disorders.

There are medications now available that could improve her situation.

5. Shuem profile image55
    Shuemposted 7 years ago

During life we all build unconscious patterns as a reaction to what happens. All these unconscious patterns are stored in soul from where they define the way we experience life without being aware of it. These life patterns cannot be consciously changed. Since older people have seen life through that same pattern for already such a long time, it is even harder. For such a change in one's life patterns, shamanic healing is a very powerful and elegant way. A shaman just cries away the deepest tears and life becomes brighter without that burden.

6. Julie2 profile image60
    Julie2posted 7 years ago

Sounds like my mom. She has always been this way and it just got worse with age. It may be the same for yours. Who knows. They just like making everyone else around them miserable. It feeds them I guess.

working