jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

why is it that women who sleep with alot of men are called whores, but men who s

1. just mee profile image55
    just meeposted 7 years ago

why is it that women who sleep with alot of men are called whores, but men who sleep with alot...

of women called players?

2. socialworker24 profile image57
    socialworker24posted 7 years ago

its a social norm...or whatever one in society accepts...in my opinion both are negative to the person...but women talking about other women being whores is negative and men talking about other men being players are positive....that is where this all comes into play.

and why are womens sexual issues always or almost always looked at in a negative way....maybe that women who sleeps w/ alot of men likes being sexually active...its all backwards to me...but thats my opinion

3. zzron profile image56
    zzronposted 7 years ago

Women are supposed to be made of sugar and spice and everything nice.  I think that idea may have started years and years ago after witnessing the habits of prostitutes.  And the thing about men  I believe has always been viewed as a macho thing.

4. profile image0
    ShadowKing!posted 7 years ago

Actually it depends on who you ask and how you ask it, because your question is now cliched. Sit back and individually ask one person at a time the question:
    "If a woman sleeps with...what would you call her?"
    A. Slut            B. Romancer
    "If a man sleeps with...what would you call him?"
    A. Dog           B. Player

In this version, you will not get a consensus of "player" for men and "slut" for women. But when you phrase the question with preconceived wording "women as whores", "men as players" you will get "brainwashed" answers. By that I mean, you have unwittingly imparted the answers already into the person's mind.

Try it. Write a hub about it. A short introduction presenting the questions to follow. Present each question with a gender specification and give a answering choice like: A. Slut/Dog, B. Player/Romancer.
    A format like this is designed to have the voter choose either A. or B. for either gender. It eliminates bias, controlling a distinct perception of each gender under their own question.

Good luck...perhaps.

5. Dorothee-Gy profile image69
    Dorothee-Gyposted 7 years ago

I think it has mainly cultural and heretical roots. Since a man can spread his DNA freely all over the place (look at the tomcats, they do the same), while a woman always has the risk of getting pregnant, it is clear that sex has to have a different meaning to each gender. For men (who dominate our societies since centuries), making sure that the children they accept as their own and their heirs are really their own, has always been extremely important, so women had to be kept from sleeping with other, perhaps more potent or more attractive men, in order to get the bloodline straight.

That's at the root of all this sex role behaviour. Men are trying to have as many options to spread their DNA as possible while at the same time making sure that their children are really theirs, and not the one's of the well built plumber living next door.

6. si news profile image58
    si newsposted 7 years ago

why do people have to sleep around dosent it get boring,or dont they feel ashamed. Are people incapable of falling in love. Whores , player not every one idalises thoese names. A lot of people choose to stay away from people like that because they know they are not real. I expect names like that were created to shock people away from disgrace, man or woman.

7. MayG profile image89
    MayGposted 7 years ago

Do you really think that this is still the case?  I thought we lived in more enlightened times than that!  Nobody I know would use the word 'whore' to describe a woman, no matter what she did.

8. profile image0
    jasper420posted 7 years ago

i dont know i think it sexist and unfair if you do something your a whore if not then your prude what the hell is that about tallk about seeing things in black ande white girls hagve it rough theese days we caqnt get away with what men can sorry but its true and i think every woman ouit there would agree its confusing

working