Neurotypicals with Aspie family members: Do you give what you expect to get in r

1. NateSean profile image75
    NateSeanposted 7 years ago

Neurotypicals with Aspie family members: Do you give what you expect to get in return?

Growing up with the diagnosis of Aspergers, I found that many adults had certain expectations of my behavior. Mind you, they could be just as guilty of some of the behaviors they found deplorable in me, so it makes me wonder if the rest of you, that is those of you who do not have the diagnosis, have equally unfair expectations of the Aspies in your life.

Do you believe that the diagnosis causes you to place unfair standards on your loved ones, that you yourself cannot live up to?

2. La Papillon profile image71
    La Papillonposted 7 years ago

I think that when one is aware of the diagnosis of Aspergers of a family member, they (non ASD person) anticipates typically expected behaviours and may feel that some characteristics need to be monitored, challenged or changed for 'normal' (there is no normal in this world) behaviours.

I agree that some of the non-autistic persons expectations of the ASD individual can contradict certain behaviours of themselves. This can be confusing and frustrating for the person on the Spectrum, let alone could be seen as double-standards.

'We' should not have expectaions of another, but acceptance for their ways, as being just an example of the diversity of ways of being inherant in the ecclectic mix of what is humanity.

Cheers, Louise.

working