What makes intelligent, able-bodied adults expect their relatives to financially

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (14 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 7 years ago

What makes intelligent, able-bodied adults expect their relatives to financially support

them, even giving them an affluent lifestyle?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13023250_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    Snakesmumposted 7 years ago

Laziness perhaps?  Lack of motivation?
    It seems to be more prevalent today for people to expect more from others, whether they deserve it or not.

3. profile image0
    threekeysposted 7 years ago

Grace you keep asking the same questions over and over. Do you need confirmation for doing well in your life and therefore casting derogatory innuendos or comments about classes in society? To me,  I wince at your harshness but then I think you worked for social services in some capacity? And I think when you see too much poverty, strife and sadnesses, you have to harden up to survive your job. I understand that.
    All I'm going to say here, there are some people that have little to begin with in life and on top of that they did not get "the opportunities" in life or the "right people connections" to move them along or upward in life. Just remember that Grace. Everybody needs and wants a life they can feel proud of. I dont know how you can imply otherwise Grace.
    Once upon a time I was sold that lie that a career determined what a "decent" person you are. Outside a public servant's job, most other jobs are insecure and going down the tubes. Careers can no longer be the vessel of worth. We are going to find our worth, our purpose in another way. Here in our country, in about less than 4 years it is said about 5-6 million jobs are going to be lost. That then means, only about 5-6 million people will be working in about a population of about 23 million. What do you suggest Grace?

gmwilliamsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Intelligent, able bodied people should be socioeconomic parasites.  No one should expect to be supported by relatives.  Either support yourself or DO WITHOUT.  If one wants something, WORK for it!   Nothing owes anyone anything-including family!

4. Tusitala Tom profile image66
    Tusitala Tomposted 7 years ago

Culture, that's where the idea comes from.  And a good many respond to it because, after all, "family is family."

Then there are others who think differently.   It really depends on your life philosophy.   Are you alone in this universe?   Or do you desire to share what you have with others.   It's a very personal decision.

My thoughts: Are you after approval here?   And from complete strangers?   Why do you even bring the subject up?

Sure you can keep it ALL to yourself if you want to.   But if you don't feel quite comfortable about it, then maybe something deeper inside than a fearful self-image is prodding you towards a different behaviour.

1. profile image0
      threekeysposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Tom, are you speaking to me or Grace?
      Im not clear what you are trying to say, especially in the last paragraph. Could you explain further Tom?

2. gmwilliams profile image84

It is a sign of laziness, really.  If one wants something-WORK it!  No one should support an able-bodied adults.  Family in many cases is synonymous w/moochers & parasites.

3. Tusitala Tom profile image66
      Tusitala Tomposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The question came from Grace, Three Keys, so I was referring to her question.

4. profile image0
      threekeysposted 7 years agoin reply to this

All good then, Tom

5. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13010808_f260.jpg

Because they....CAN.   Yes, there are family members who are....well, moochers or the better term, parasites.   There are those because they are related, expect others to support them & give them an easy affluent lifestyle.   These leeches aren't about to work for themselves.  Instead they find it much easier to depend upon their relatives.   

This behavior is quite common in large/very large families but not so much in small families.  In many large/very large families, relatives who are less successful want, even expect their more successful relatives to support them & give them a lavish lifestyle.  In many large/very large families, there are siblings who socioeconomically leech off other siblings.  In small families, there is more socioeconomic independence & it is expected in small families, that each member do for himself/herself.

Many family members view other family members as their IN-HOUSE WELFARE SYSTEM. They find it very time consuming to work & support themselves when there are other family members who will do the job for them.  In essence, such family members find a socioeconomic buffer in other family members.  It isn't unusual for these leeches, moochers, & parasites to live in relatives' homes, eating their food, & spending their monies w/o reciprocation. In their assessment, family OWES them because they are.....well, FAMILY.

6. tamarawilhite profile image85
    tamarawilhiteposted 7 years ago

The book The Millionaire Next Door describes economic outpatient care or EOC, parents who lavish money on children to keep them emotional dependent, close or subsidizing them as they pursue unrealistic dreams. The children become dependent on that money and save less and spend more.
    What compounds the problem is how many of the parents who gave EOC then ask more successful siblings to subsidize the dependent siblings when the parents are gone.

Not only upper middle & upper class parents, many poor parents EXPECT the more successful siblings to support & carry the less successful siblings.  This behavior is rife in large families.

2. tamarawilhite profile image85
      tamarawilhiteposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I brought up that book because the author wrote about this issue 20+ years ago, and yes, there were working class parents of high net worth who asked doctors to give money to siblings.

7. SalcidoBianca profile image60
    SalcidoBiancaposted 7 years ago

(gmwilliams)

With all due respect don't take this the erroneous way and I'm not endeavoring to offend you in any way, shape or form but you keep reiterating yourself in all the comments you've posted. From the looks of it you seem homogeneous to an conversational narcissist and it's purportless for us to endeavor and understand from your perspective as why you feel such a way about this post because you genuinely aren't explicating nor giving a reason as for why you feel such a way. Are you habituated with the term "NPD"? Well CN's can be draining and tedious especially if you optically discern there’s nothing in it for you. How about transmuting the way you visually examine things? Don’t worry, I don’t like the noetic conception of transmuting something in myself either, especially when it’s the narcissist who should transmute! The fact is: you can’t change anyone, so give up trying now.The only thing you can change is your outlook and perception. For instance, you could see talking to a conversational narcissist as a form of interpersonal training. You could also see it as a way to forge many great qualities such as patience, self-control (forbearance) and focus that all come with listening to a self-absorbed, insensitive and egotistical person. That's my opinion of how I view you as a person from your response and or comments towards this post; however, I'm not trying to offend you so please don't take it the wrong way. “We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.”–Epictetus

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)