jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do you prefer an OB/GYN or midwife?

1. Miss Info profile image82
    Miss Infoposted 6 years ago

Do you prefer an OB/GYN or midwife?

If you were pregnant, which would you prefer to deliver your baby?

2. pitzele profile image67
    pitzeleposted 6 years ago

I have had both and can tell you for my personal comfort, I prefer a mid-wife.  Unless you have a serious medical issue, a midwife can do all of the same things as an OB, but without the overbearing nature.   Sorry, but that has been my experience and that of many of my friends.

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

My daughter has given birth twice and both times bled to the point of danger.  The last time they called for a crash cart before the doctor could get the bleeding clamped off.  Unfortunately, this cannot always be predicted in women and this kind of danger needs a hospital environment.

I had two C-sections so my only choice was an OB.

4. jacqui2011 profile image85
    jacqui2011posted 6 years ago

I had an Ob/Gyn both times and my experience was wonderful. It helped that she was my mums friend so I kinda got special treatment which was great.

5. Lisa HW profile image72
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

I know all the arguments against using a qualified, physician and having a baby in a hospital; but my thinking was that I didn't care about anything but being able to get immediate medical attention to the baby (either during the pregnancy or during the labor/delivery).

Personally, and if it weren't for wanting the quickest and best medical attention if the baby needed it, I would have preferred to go off in a room in my house and have my babies without anyone else around.  I didn't see it as "about me", though; and I didn't see either the pregnancies or deliveries as anything other than something we go through to get to the important thing of having a live, healthy, baby (and concentrating on the more important stuff that goes on after the baby is all here).

My babies were brought home to a warm, cozy, personal, environment once they were born.  Both were born in the presence of "sterile, hospital, equipment"  (one 6 weeks early, upside down, and born in an hour and a half, and the other 3 weeks early with "some head issue" that didn't slow down the hour-and-a-half-or-so labor/delivery).  One of my nephews was blue at the time he was born (cord problem).  Another nephew (different mother) was born at a hospital after his mother tried going to a less "institutional" place with a midwife and ended up being wheeled across a busy street to get to the hospital when something went seriously wrong.

I, for one, am happy to have been born at a time and place when the best medical care is available to people whose labors might get complicated.  Call me "old fashioned" (ironically, I guess), but all I cared about was what I believed offered my baby the safest possible environment in which to be born.  I didn't want or need anything from my doctors other than their experience and training, and I didn't care about the "decor" of the room in which my babies arrived.

working