jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What does it feel like to be happy?

1. amurbach profile image82
    amurbachposted 6 years ago

What does it feel like to be happy?

I started trying to pinpoint the actual feeling of being happy.  This happiness class that I took has caused me to write a hub and has me now thinking about other stuff...

2. the clean life profile image79
    the clean lifeposted 6 years ago

The feeling of happiness to me is to want to achieve something in your life and at last you have accomplished it, such as quitting drinking for myself. I am the happiest I have ever been in my life.  What a great feeling!

3. proactrdv profile image69
    proactrdvposted 6 years ago

Once you  experiance sadness then you will know what happiness is.

4. JGoul profile image61
    JGoulposted 6 years ago

I think happiness is pleasure derived from satisfaction with one's life. 

I disagree, proactdrv.  Happiness is more than the absence of sadness.  There have been quite a few times in my life when, despite not feeling significant pain or sadness, I didn't feel much in the way of positive emotions either.

And cleanlife, saying that happiness is accomplishing something you want doesn't really answer the question...  That might be what PRODUCES the feeling of happiness in you, but that says nothing about what happiness FEELS like.  If you don't think there's a difference between the two, talk to someone with clinical depression.  A major marker for that illness is a failure to take genuine pleasure from life activities in which others find satisfaction.

5. learnlovelive profile image62
    learnloveliveposted 6 years ago

Happiness is breathing in the carbon molecules of history. They say that there are still some floating around from the last breaths of the Buddha, Lao Tzu, Jesus, and many other historical figures.

It's waking up everyday with determined outcomes for your life and seeking to reconcile those desires with actual results.

Happiness requires that you never stop learning or give up hope, that you persist onward regardless of hardship. Even in the worst of times, true happiness is the bliss of being alive and understanding what that really means.

So many people don't understand just how special the gift of their consciousness is; the form of mental blocks give way to victimization. It feels good to be pitied and vindicated...until you start feeling weak as a result of the supposed encouragement. Until you realize that your need for pity is damaging your personal integrity by implying that you are unfulfilled in one way or another.

The core of happiness is derived from discovering your personal ambitions and desires. Check out my hub on quality versus quantity here: http://learnlovelive.hubpages.com/hub/Q … s-Quantity for more insight on these principles.

working