jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)

What do humans drink cow milk?

1. ii3rittles profile image82
    ii3rittlesposted 6 years ago

What do humans drink cow milk?

Why are human's the only living thing that drinks another animals breast milk? Also why are humans the only ones drinking milk once we no longer need it? Once an animal reaches maturity they no longer need milk. I just think it's kind of weird that we, as humans use so much cow milk.. when you think about it, using it seems so dang wrong... I mean it's another mother's milk, to top, another species milk. Also cow milk is designed to develop cows in HUGE, FAT animals... is there a link to obesity here?

2. starsofeight profile image61
    starsofeightposted 6 years ago

Because it is udderly good.

Here is a little more info:

milk, according to one encyclopedia I read years ago, is a modified form of sweat produced by a modified sweat gland.

3. Thesource profile image80
    Thesourceposted 6 years ago

I think the farm lobbyist are responsible for us drinking so much milk. There are many other sources of calcium and vitamins.

Humans seem to have started drinking cow's milk only about 6,000 years ago. This is just a recent development in the human evolution scale. This is why many humans still cannot drink cow's milk. This condition is know as lactose intolerance.

There is also a link to obesity. The amount of carbohydrates in milk can turn to fat in an inactive human body.

It is also important to note that most of the cows in the US produce the A1 milk which is inferior to the A2 milk.
    Research shows that A1 milk can cause neurological, mental, and heart problems in humans. The A2 milk is actually better. However, farm lobbyists are suppressing this information.

4. profile image0
    rorshak sobchakposted 6 years ago

This is a really good question! How did you think of all of this stuff? We probably use it because we have the knowledge that it benefits us in some way. Other animals don't think and reason. I loved your question it is neat to think about!

5. profile image0
    klevifushaposted 6 years ago

Very interesting question. I personally think that humans have been drinking animal's breast milk for thousands of years. However, the new, genetically modified animals and the foods that come from them definitely have a link with obesity.

6. Gaizy profile image83
    Gaizyposted 6 years ago

Yes I've always thought that it is wierd that whilst most people would be horrified at the thought of drinking human milk (which is designed for them), yet think nothing of chugging pints of milk from a completely different species - Psychology has a lot to answer for!

7. BabyCheetah profile image73
    BabyCheetahposted 6 years ago

Wow I have never thought of this question before. I have no idea why but I do love milk!

8. profile image0
    Dandraposted 6 years ago

It's yummy and available. Obesity is because of cheap, processed food and lazy people.

9. Tracy Lynn Conway profile image95
    Tracy Lynn Conwayposted 6 years ago

Dairy products are linked to strong bones and good growth since they are a good source of calcium. I am referring to all dairy products now, including yogurt and cheese, as they are made from milk. Nordic people grow taller since dairy products are a major part of their diet, if you look to people following the mediterranean diet you will find people that are shorter and smaller in stature, typically.

As Dandra said, obesity is linked to a poor diet of processed foods and lack of exercise.

I like your question and have considered this idea since having breast feed my four children. I realize your question is ethical and my answer is practical; we consume dairy products since they are very nutritious.

10. ks7999 profile image59
    ks7999posted 6 years ago

Because it tastes so darn good with Kashi - Go lean Crunch!!  Funny but your question made me thirsty...  Gotta run to the fridge for a cold glass of moo.

11. TimeToGoBeyond profile image60
    TimeToGoBeyondposted 6 years ago

One, it is extremely good for the bones hence it is good for your body and two because it is very yummy smile

12. junkseller profile image85
    junksellerposted 6 years ago

Humans are incredibly resourceful and will utilize just about any food source they can devise. When we domesticated animals, it didn't take long to realize we could exploit their milk for our own consumption. Don't forget, it is also used to make cheese, which is an important food source.

It makes sense, since animals can eat grass (which we can not) and then turn it into milk (which we can consume).

There are some people who also drink an animal's blood (without killing it). They just pop a little hole in its jugular, fill up a mug and patch them back up.

There are also examples of humans breastfeeding other animals, and there are also lots of reported cases of animals breastfeeding other species (dogs breastfeeding cats for instance). I have even heard a story of a baby that was breastfed by a bear (not sure about that one).

Breast milk is pretty amazing stuff. The more the merrier I say. You seem squeamish about it, so probably do not want to here stories about daughters breast-feeding fathers in prison (because they were starving to death).

Once upon a time, breast milk was used to cure a variety of ailments, such as cuts and infections. It is still commonly used to treat pink eye!

I guess I am digressing. My point it that it is really useful stuff and doesn't hurt anybody so why not.

working