jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

Can you drink too much milk?

1. innerspin profile image92
    innerspinposted 3 years ago

Can you drink too much milk?

An elderly relative eats less food these days but drinks more milk, around two or three pints a day. Could this cause health problems?

2. Perspycacious profile image82
    Perspycaciousposted 3 years ago

You didn't say what milk (Fat Free, 1%, 2%, Homogenized, Goat's?)  Drinking too much of any liquid can actually cause a person to drown!  The chances are that 2-3 pints of cow's milk, especially Fat Free or 1% is not going to cause health problems for the "elderly" (aged?) relative.

innerspinposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Hmm, he used to drink fat free but I think it's full fat cow's milk now. I worry a bit that it's spoiling his appetite for other food which may reduce vitamin  intake. He's 87, and quite frail now. Maybe the milk keeps him going.

2. Penny G profile image71
      Penny Gposted 3 years agoin reply to this

At that age he should have everything and anything he wants. It wouldn't make a difference now.

3. pattyfloren profile image81
    pattyflorenposted 3 years ago

Milk does the body good!  That was the commercial that we had growing up.  It's true, if the body can tolerate milk it strengthens the bones and gives our bodies a boost.

4. grand old lady profile image83
    grand old ladyposted 3 years ago

If you have a sensitive stomach, dairy products are not good. My husband has inflammations on his digestive system and was ordered not to take dairy products. Otherwise, milk is very healthy.

5. tirelesstraveler profile image81
    tirelesstravelerposted 3 years ago

Have you asked why they are drinking more milk and eating less food? They may be trying to mask an upset stomach or the like.

innerspinposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Good point, but he's not shy about sharing problems or seeing a doctor. He says he enjoys the milk, which I guess is fair enough. Thanks for answering.

6. JosephDickens profile image60
    JosephDickensposted 3 years ago

No. Too much is bad. Some people have lactose intolerance, a condition in which the body can't break down lactose, the primary sugar in milk. A milk allergy isn't the same thing as lactose intolerance. Instead of having problems digesting milk, someone with an allergy actually has an immune response to the proteins in milk. Some studies says that too much amount of milk and dairy products actually have the highest rates of osteoporosis and hip fractures. Moreover, any doctors, nutritionists, and researchers argue that dairy products (primarily cheese, ice cream, butter, and milk) contribute significant amounts of fat and cholesterol to our diets, causing the growing rates of obesity, diabetes and heart disease.