jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Should we be charged for an extreme misdiagnosis, that devastated my wife and en

1. Awfranklin profile image60
    Awfranklinposted 6 years ago

Should we be charged for an extreme misdiagnosis, that devastated my wife and endangered our baby?

My wife and I went in to the doctor because of cramping when she was just 4 weeks pregnant.  The doctor off of one HCG test alone, told us that she was going to either miscarry, or have an ectopic pregnancy.  He could not see anything on the first ultrasound, so he ordered 3 more.  I found out at her level, it would have been impossible for him to actually see anything.  So two days later we found out all was well and fine and she is now 12 weeks pregnant!  I am so happy, but still stuck with an $1,800.00 bill.  I am not one of those people who skimps on bills, just not sure if this is right?

2. Ella Robinson profile image61
    Ella Robinsonposted 6 years ago

Well when i had my baby they left a bit of placenta behind which led to excessive bleeding and if i got to the hospital 15 minutes later than i already had i would have not made it not only that they treated me like crap all the while i was (like i chose to be there).I could have taken them to court for medical negligence but i didn't because they were not worth another minute of my time and wanted nothing to do with that hospital ever again. Taking a couple of grand from them will not take away the memory of what they had done.

If i were you i would throw the money at them and change doctors.

3. danfresnourban profile image67
    danfresnourbanposted 6 years ago

I like Ella's below because it is not enough to hire a lawyer and if you dont pay it will affect your credit. You can however write them a letter and ask them to reduce the bill because you feel that you did not recieve competent care.

4. profile image0
    Giselle Maineposted 6 years ago

I like Danfresnourban's answer: write a letter and ask if you can get a discount off the tests explaining why you think this should be the case (but ultimately just pay the amount they decide you should owe).  NOTE: You need to make folllow-up phone calls too to lobby for this, don't just rely on 1 letter.  Talk with whoever does the billing, as well as the physician if necessary. While the process is being decided, ask the billing office for a (free) extension of the due date on your account, or at very least request they enter a note on your account explaining that some of the charges are currently under review.

However, in my view, a wider issue is at large here that Ella also raised: if you don't have confidence in this doctor, you might want to consider switching to a different doctor, and fairly soon... in the US, a lot of doctors prefer their new obstetric patients to be less than 19 weeks along (although in some cases it may still be possible to switch later).  I actually switched to a different practice group about 18 weeks along during my 1st pregnancy because I didn't have a lot of confidence in my 1st doctor after they missed timeframes for prenatal tests and had problems scheduling my prenatal appointments... ugh.  Good luck with everything!  Feel free to ask if you have more questions about this!

5. Awfranklin profile image60
    Awfranklinposted 6 years ago

thank you guys, yea I had a meeting with the doctor and he refused any wrong doing on his part, so I think im stuck.  Does not sit ok, but in the end im just glad our child is ok!  Ill just take the bullet and move on.  I appreciate you answers!

working