jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Which would you learn given the choice, and why? Yoga or Pilates?

1. visionandfocus profile image72
    visionandfocusposted 6 years ago

Which would you learn given the choice, and why? Yoga or Pilates?

2. profile image0
    Giselle Maineposted 6 years ago

Yoga, because it has a strong mental/intellectual component which I believe adds an extra dimension and makes it fun, (even when the moves are challenging).  In contrast, Pilates just sounds like hard work to me!!

3. R S Beer profile image61
    R S Beerposted 6 years ago

Probably Yoga, as I believe it's a more comprehensive system.

For me, it would also depend on the instructors available though. I know there are good Pilates teachers where I live, but the Yoga teachers I've seen locally didn't come across as very experienced or knowledgeable.

4. AngelTrader profile image60
    AngelTraderposted 6 years ago

Yoga, because it works on so many levels, physical as well as mental. Not only do you tone all muscle groups you learn how to control your mind and free yourself from the constant internal chatter so many suffer from!

5. Dr. Aaron LeBauer profile image71
    Dr. Aaron LeBauerposted 6 years ago

I'm also going to say yoga.  Yoga combines the best of cardiovascular fitness, strength, balance, stamina, flexibility, mental focus and core stability.  There is much more to yoga than just postures or asanas and you can take it a far or as deep as you would like.  Yoga is also very portable and you can do it anywhere and anytime.

To my knowledge Pilates, which can be amazingly beneficial, is primary focused on core strength and stability as the means to strengthen your body and provide flexibility.  It is not as readily available and it is hard to do reformer workouts at home on your own because of the equipment requirements.

working