jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Natural remedies or help for bee stings and swelling?

1. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 6 years ago

Natural remedies or help for bee stings and swelling?

Was wondering what you do to help with bee stings? I swell up terribly if I get stung.

2. Barbara Kay profile image89
    Barbara Kayposted 6 years ago

I got a bee sting to go down quickly by using Preparation H on it. I had used cortisone cream, taken allergy products and everything and nothing worked until I tried that. Mine was near my eye and was swollen huge and I remembered that they told you to use Preparation H on swollen eyes due to lack of sleep etc.

3. R S Beer profile image60
    R S Beerposted 6 years ago

One method is to mix some baking soda with water until it gains a pasty consistency. Then rub it onto the affected area.

Finally, get some vinegar; I think ordinary vinegar should be fine, and pour it over the baking soda until it's gone.

Apple cider vinegar is sometimes used on its own as a sting remedy, but the above method seems to work better for me personally.

I've read that lavender oil also works, if used in small amounts on the sting area. I haven't tried it myself though.

4. sanathara profile image60
    sanatharaposted 6 years ago

For burning sensation apply any tooth paste.It is soothing.

For swelling apply Lavender Oil and if it's Itching then apply the solution of baking soda and water.

5. profile image0
    J Yoderposted 6 years ago

I have used Apple Cider vinegar (the pure stuff) and dabbed it on. It helped take away the sting. Can't remember if it helped the swelling or not...

One I haven't tried, but they say works, is toothpaste.

6. landscapeartist profile image77
    landscapeartistposted 5 years ago

I have an allergy towards bee stings.  I found a remedy for the pain a long time ago.  It also draws the venom up to the surface so my reaction does not last as long as it normally would.
    It's gross but take a used cigarette butt, pull the tabacco out and mix it with your spit. Then put it on the sting like a poultrice.  As it dries, it draws out the venom and doesn't swell up as much as it does if I don't use it.  It works on me all the time.

1. Brandon E Newman profile image72
      Brandon E Newmanposted 5 years agoin reply to this

The spit may be the effective agent here. Salivary enzymes could perhaps break the venom into a less toxic compound. -just a hypothesis.

2. landscapeartist profile image77
      landscapeartistposted 5 years agoin reply to this

every year my reaction is worse than the previous year, so i am a little nervous about this year

working