jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Addiction: Bad habit, disease, excuse or something else? RIP Amy Winehouse.

1. msdee115 profile image59
    msdee115posted 6 years ago

Addiction: Bad habit, disease, excuse or something else?  RIP Amy Winehouse.

Is "addiction" (drug, alcohol, gambling,etc) a very very bad habit, an excuse, a disease or something else?  #RIP Amy Winehouse#

2. swb78 profile image60
    swb78posted 6 years ago

There is plenty of research to suggest addiction is a disease. The addict cannot process the idea that they are living a selfish and destructive existence. It appears you may have lost a friend or loved one-RIP- I pray for God`s mercy on you and yours. Scott

3. truthfornow profile image80
    truthfornowposted 6 years ago

It seems like a bad habit that gets out of control, but it really is an addiction.  You can't stop.  You don't realize you are hurting those around you.

4. wychic profile image90
    wychicposted 6 years ago

For those living the addiction, it may seem like a bad habit, and at some point they may even acknowledge that they use too much. However, a true addiction is certainly a disease, and a much more destructive one than most other diseases known to mankind -- and, sadly, one of the only ones that is 100% preventable.

5. msdee115 profile image59
    msdee115posted 6 years ago

Thanks for the responses.  For those such as myself, who have never experienced addiction... pastries/sweets may be the most relatable thing for me) I guess sometimes we just don't get it.  There are people that have been "cured" I guess (if we say it's a disease) but for the ones who haven't been there must be something a bit more to deal with....
    Wychic, that "100% preventable" part is as you've stated is the sad thing!

Thanks again for your input.

6. fit2day profile image78
    fit2dayposted 6 years ago

Ultimately, you can be addicted to anything, just some addictions are viewed as worst than others. For instance drinking alcohol 5 times a day everyday would be viewed as worse than taking pain pills all the time.
    I think Amy's death is another sad story of a celebrity using substance to escape the pressure.

working