jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

I teach swim lessons and am always cold, any suggestions?

1. saxrunner profile image85
    saxrunnerposted 6 years ago

I teach swim lessons and am always cold, any suggestions?

I'm in an indoor lap pool for 3 hours straight and am almost miserable by the end even though I'm moving around quite a bit. I've tried a wearing a swim cap, but it helps little.

2. J Burgraff profile image74
    J Burgraffposted 6 years ago

A thin lycra wetsuit would be good.  Also, warm up before you go into the pool.  The old adage about cooling down to the temperature of the water is actually not true.  You should warm up your core before you go in.  And take a hot thermos of tea with you!

3. punacoast profile image97
    punacoastposted 6 years ago

I do laps regularly at a local pool and sometimes I got chilled easily when swimming with an empty stomach!  So now I eat a Clif energy bar 1/2 hour before my workout and no more chills!  Running around in a wet swim trunk could make you cold too, especially with indoor pool.  Can you do some vigorous laps to warm yourself up between lessons?

4. Jennie Demario profile image40
    Jennie Demarioposted 6 years ago

If you spend a lot of time in the water you should consider getting a wet suit.  The wet suit will do a good job of keeping you warm in cold waters.  If you don't want a full suit you can even just get a shirt.