How involved should you be in your own healthcare program?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)
  1. catsimmons profile image82
    catsimmonsposted 12 years ago

How involved should you be in your own healthcare program?

With all the information out there these days, do you think that this should give you more influence over the healthcare treatment you receive?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/5501474_f260.jpg

2. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 12 years ago

Totally involved would be a good idea after all it is your body and your health. Why permit third party interference in your personal health.

3. Aquatic Guru profile image80
    Aquatic Guruposted 12 years ago

I know Doctors obtain a high level of education and research and having a physician that you feel comfortable with and trust is a big plus concerning a person's healthcare. I would also have to say though that a person who is fully capable of making sound decisions should be in complete control of their own healthcare program. I do a lot of my own research and if my doctor makes a decision about my healthcare I don't hesitate to tell him if I agree or disagree with him. Another problem I see is that insurance companies often get the last say as to what treatment they will or will not allow if you rely on your insurance to help with costs. I do not agree with government run healthcare.. Often times we do not have or are limited to the types of healthcare plans and treatments we can pursue for ourselves. We all should have the right to choose our own healthcare program and make decisions about options based on our healthcare needs. I know myself better than anyone.  I do understand that medicare etc. helps people  with certain disadvantages. but still a person should have a right to choose their own treatment plans. There are some fine lines to really think about when it comes to this subject.

4. Attikos profile image82
    Attikosposted 12 years ago

The US medical system is evolving rapidly toward a paradigm in which doctors are merely the smiley faces on a database. More and more, they are required to run the standard tests, interpret them in the standard way, make the standard recommendations, and prescribe the standard remedies. You may as well be dealing with a computer program.

In fact, you can. There are numerous Websites that will translate your symptoms into a diagnosis. Go to a clinic, pay a hundred and fifty bucks, and you can get the same result.

The lesson from this is that if you're not your own doctor, you're at the mercy of an increasingly impersonal, bureaucratic system that merely follows the rules laid down for it by authorities on high. Such systems are never as effective as they're supposed to be, and they are inevitably subject to manipulation by persons with power whose agendae do not necessarily mesh well with yours. The wise ones among us will therefore be deeply involved in their own healthcare. After all, you can't trust the established system, and what is at stake is your life. Do it yourself, or take the consequences.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)