jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

Have you performed surgical procedures on yourself?

1. noturningback profile image78
    noturningbackposted 6 years ago

Have you performed surgical procedures on yourself?

Have you ever performed a medical procedure on yourself or another, even though you might not be trained to do so?

2. diydiva profile image82
    diydivaposted 6 years ago

No way!  One; I am completely terrified of needles, so sewing or anything similar on a human would be impossible for me.  I'm sure if it was life or death situation and I was the most qualified person left on earth or something similar I would be able to work up the courage but while there are still professionals, lets leave it up to them!

3. shivnandan profile image61
    shivnandanposted 6 years ago

I have performed one of them...

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

Yes.   With alcohol, sterilized needles, the whole 9 yards.  Who can afford going to the doctor over every little abscess or whatever comes our way?

5. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

i've given myself stitches a few times. fixed a few broken bones and a couple of other things. doctors scare me.

6. profile image0
    vperryposted 6 years ago

I'm not a doctor, so no.  I haven't.  In fact, I find the thought to be a bit gross.  You can give yourself a horrible infection with a dirty knife, pin, needle, etc.  I have pulled a splinter myself using a pin and was concerned with that.  I'm a whimp when it comes to doing anything along those lines.  Went to the doctor with a three-pronged fish hook hanging out of my foot too.  Couldn't bring myself to remove it!

7. wychic profile image90
    wychicposted 6 years ago

No, I leave that to my husband -- though he's happy to have only had to sew himself up once. That said, he's also very well-trained for the job...he spent 33 years in surgery, and there was no question that he was doing it right. You can barely see the scar where he put about 15 stitches in his leg.

8. romper20 profile image82
    romper20posted 6 years ago

Other than piercing my ear i can not say i have done any kind of medical experiment to myself tongue

9. arksys profile image92
    arksysposted 6 years ago

i've done some dentists work on my teeth ... used a screw driver and a needle to make the pain go away... with a few pain killers and local anesthetic cream. :S

10. oopsydoopsygirl profile image57
    oopsydoopsygirlposted 6 years ago

I tried to pull a polyp out of my nose with tweezers and a reading light. Bled like mad. I had to go to the doctor and then when he saw it, he said "this looks bruised", so I had to explain what I did. He wasn't very happy.