jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How can I relieve pain naturally on my surgical incision?

1. Eric Calderwood profile image84
    Eric Calderwoodposted 4 years ago

How can I relieve pain naturally on my surgical incision?

Is there a natural pain remedy that I can apply to the skin around the site of a recent surgery? It can't be something that would cause an infection since the wound is not completely closed.

2. Mary McShane profile image79
    Mary McShaneposted 4 years ago

Hi Eric, If cool compresses are not cutting it for you, and ice doesn't seem practical (..if it is the dead of winter there, for example), you might want to ask your doctor if you can use a topical pain reliever for just around the incision, assuming your pain doesn't have an underlying cause.

Since I don't like the sedative effect of narcotics and prescription pain remedies, I used an over the counter pain patch -Tiger Balm -  for a few days after some minor surgery, and it was very helpful.

Some people have gotten relief using Bio-Freeze Gel so that might work well for you. Check with your doctor first of course.
    I hope you feel better soon.

3. thumbi7 profile image63
    thumbi7posted 4 years ago

Your surgeon is the best person to ask this question. Since you mentioned that the wound is not completely closed you have to be careful
    Prescribed pain medications usually relieve the surgical pain.
    You will be better as the wound starts healing

4. janshares profile image96
    jansharesposted 4 years ago

Definitely check with a health practitioner first or your doctor but google a product called "Wound Honey." It is a natural product and very good for healing cuts, burns, and diabetic ulcers.

5. bethperry profile image91
    bethperryposted 4 years ago

I have used a plaster of raw honey. It truly relieved not only the pain but the redness and irritation. However, to be on the safe side I'll add the obligatory "Check with your physician first".

6. profile image0
    MysticMoonlightposted 4 years ago

I've always found that applying a heating pad or hot water bottle to the area helps ease the pain. I've had several serious surgeries and this has always been a helpful go-to for me. Of course, check with your doctor first as some wounds may be too sensitive for heat. Hope this helps