jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Can too much exercise and not enough calories from food change the body weight?

1. brakel2 profile image82
    brakel2posted 6 years ago

Can too much exercise and not enough calories from food change the body weight?

What would happen to muscle mass and body fat?

2. Sharon McConnell profile image72
    Sharon McConnellposted 6 years ago

I am not a professional but I do know that if you don't feed your body enough food then your body uses muscle as energy instead of fat.  You may lose weight but you will also be losing muscle, which is not healthy!

3. fit2day profile image75
    fit2dayposted 6 years ago

Sharon, you're right on the money with losing muscle. The most important thing to consider is where your calories come from. Eating 1300 calories may be bad if you need 2000, but getting 2000 calories with 1000 coming from soda would be worse.

The body needs calories to properly function, so not enough of what it needs will negatively impact exercise as well as the results from it.

4. skeptiks profile image61
    skeptiksposted 6 years ago

Hello, i have a hub written in detail about that. Check it out!

5. tosha11 profile image76
    tosha11posted 6 years ago

YES! If you don't consume enough calories your body will take them from your body. This is NOT good. It can actually make you loose muscle mass not weight. Sure the scales will go down a little but it's not good for your body. I am a big health fanatic and the best advice is if you are trying to loose weight get a plan from your nutrtionist. They will give you the right number of calories to eat and an exericise program to follow.

6. whoisbid profile image73
    whoisbidposted 6 years ago

Too much exercise can make you sick. You need to pace your exercise regime and sometimes not worry about going on a food binge when you are craving things to eat because your body is telling you that you need it. The way that you exercise is also important. The best way to approach these things is not to try and lose weight as your goal but instead to become fit-  because everything in the body works better when you are fit.
    There is a book called "Fit or Fat" by Covert Bailey which is probably something that might help someone forget about trying to lose weight and concentrate more on being fit. I personally believe that someone who is fit but has a bit of fat is far better off than someone who is unfit and slim.

working