jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Who suffers with aura migraine and how do you cope with them?

1. beautyspot2010 profile image60
    beautyspot2010posted 6 years ago

Who suffers with aura migraine and how do you cope with them?

2. Leaderofmany profile image60
    Leaderofmanyposted 6 years ago

I suffer from migraines to the point I have to be hospitalized and treated with DHE through IV every 8 hours. I otherwise stay at home in a dark room with no sound and try to sleep it off.

3. beautyspot2010 profile image60
    beautyspot2010posted 6 years ago

wow, that sounds like you get them bad, when i get mine i go blind in one eye, lose the feeling on my left side and i cant speak either, if i try it comes out sounding like im speaking another language. its not nice and very scary

4. m0rd0r profile image74
    m0rd0rposted 6 years ago

I have this every summer, especially when my BP goes too low due to heat and not enough liquids.

I do some "ritual" every time It gets to my head:

1. Dark room, preferably laying down while the zig-zag vision disturbance goes away.
    2. I start a small fan that blows gently to my face. The white noise also helps.
    3. Slow massage of the temples.
    4. Patience until the headache starts to go away.

After the first episode, which is the worst, I often get few more in the next 2 weeks.

I get TONS of caffeine and red wine. This way my BP gets back to "a little bit high". But "that high" is what I feel comfortable with.

Dark chocolate also helps me to get my head running normally. I wrote an article about my whole experience in my blog "How to cope with ophthalmic migraine". I have this since childhood and learned not to fear it.

5. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I have them very rarely.  When it first happened, it was the aura only and no headaches which scared the stuffing out of me!  I get a bright zig zag line across my vision and it gradually increases over 20 minutes until it is like flames in the lower portion of my vision.  Then it starts to recede and the pain starts gradually building.  I just try to stay calm and know it is going to pass soon.

Thankfully it has been several years since one of those headaches.  Beautyspot2010 yours sound terribly scary and almost stroke-like. Scary stuff.

6. profile image0
    femmeflashpointposted 6 years ago

I have migraine nearly every month during full moon, and have had since I was a kid and sustained a slight C-Spine injury.

I'm "supposed" to take a muscle relaxer routinely, but I seldom do because I feel out of sorts when I use it and have a hard time being alert for a good while after I wake up, but it does help alleviate the pain, or at least keep it from being as intense - sometimes.  Sometimes even that doesn't work.

But there are other things that often help me tolerate them until they subside.  Sometimes they last for days (and nights) on end.

Menthol rub around my temples, forehead and along the back of my neck and shoulders helps a great deal, as well intense massaging.  Coffee also helps, sometimes ... at least a little.

Low lights to no lights, no noise and keeping still in a cool environment helps as well.

I've accumulated fifteen broken bones so far, mostly from sports injuries, and no kidding, migraine pain is every bit as painful as a fracture.

7. Melissa.P profile image58
    Melissa.Pposted 6 years ago

I am pretty luck so far knock on wood... The longest I have had one was like maybe 8 hours. I can't really explain how often I get them because sometimes there are periods where I'll get them a couple times a month and then I can go months without one even years at one point, I get forgetful and feel nauseous when i have them. Advil migraine liquid gels actually works for me. I also sit in the in the pitch dark sometimes i have a bath in the dark that works too. It is so strange when i have migraines I cannot even move my head a certain way. They get bad my boyfriend wants to take me to the hospital every time I get them but I tell him it will go away soon. Must be scary to see from someone with a bad migraine,if you're someone who doesn't get them but I am glad hes there.

working