jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Have you planned your funeral? If so, at what age did you do this?

1. justateacher profile image82
    justateacherposted 6 years ago

Have you planned your funeral? If so, at what age did you do this?

After planning more than one funeral for family members, I am thinking about my own funeral plan. What have you planned and how old were you when you planned it? Did it seem morbid to you to do this?

2. Moms-Secret profile image83
    Moms-Secretposted 6 years ago

I am actually doing this now.  I am not prepaying them or locking in a location because I am in my early thirties and I am not sure where I will be.

I planned what I want done using living wills and wills.  I arranged payment from a life insurance policy.  I am trying to keep it as simple as possible since I have been on the other side of this.

In my case, it would not be morbid, but I can see where others may consider it to be.  I would rather know that everything was handled without hardship to my princess.

3. jeyaramd profile image75
    jeyaramdposted 6 years ago

Its easier paying towards your funeral when you are older. If you know that you would always want to have your funeral at a specific place then its alright. However, I prefer saving up for the occasion through or having insurance.

The decision making process of picking the casket and all is the most difficult part for family and friends. Its hard for them to make your decisions for you. Its important that family not worry about the money. Similarly, we should ensure that family are not at each other's throats after we are gone. Its best to have things run smooth after our departure.

Preparation goes a long way. That means that you need to set up a will and allocate your assets and belongings to family, friends and charities. At the least, you should write down your wishes in a diary or in a will for others to know your wishes. So there is less confusion after you are gone.

4. Earl S. Wynn profile image84
    Earl S. Wynnposted 6 years ago

When my great grandmother passed away about ten years ago (when I was 18,) it was her wish to be cremated and to have her family spread her ashes on the wind among the trees in the woods where she grew up. That's how I want my funeral to be. Simple, inexpensive and personal.

5. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I'm with Earl, I want it simple and inexpensive.  What I leave my family is the years of love and commitment I have already given them.  What happens after I die is unimportant as long as they have closure.

6. Kebennett1 profile image60
    Kebennett1posted 6 years ago

After my brother passed away due to an automobile accident at the age of 18 (and I was 16) and my mother had an open casket viewing and burial I decided then what I wanted. I will always remember how my brother looked. He didn't look like him at all and it was shocking and traumatic. I can still see him lying there in that coffin in my mind. I told my mother then that I wanted to be cremated, and when I married I told my husband, and when my children were grown I told them! Nothing fancy, just cremated and kept in the cheap plastic box and kept along side my grandparents and fathers ashes at the home of who ever has them by then. This doesn't seem morbid at all to me, just taking care of business and making sure it is done the way I want it done!

7. Phil W UK profile image59
    Phil W UKposted 5 years ago

I am 43 and have just started planning my funeral. I have arranged a funeral plan, I am going to choose eveything from the coffin to the music (want 'when the saints go marching in'jazz style by a live band!) The funeral director has all the info and will ensure it happens. I have even arranged the transport should I choose to take a less painful way out should my symptoms worsen.

The plan is that my send off will in effect totally self organising so my family are spared the trauma of having to arrange this during a very difficult time. I also want it to not be a lavish thing, but not a sad and gloomy thing. Probably they will all end up in the pub smile

I know that when my Grandma passed away, it was the hardest thing I have ever done to stand up a perform a reading without breaking down during the service, but I remember afterwards in the pub, we were remembering things she had done that made us laugh and cry, but most important, I know she would be so happy about the way we remembered her, and I would like to build on that for my funeral so it minimises any trauma.

In fact, there are some responses to my question which is a related topic. You may wish to have a look!