What are some natural and/or holistic ways a person can achieve or maintain sobr

1. BizGenGirl profile image90
    BizGenGirlposted 6 years ago

What are some natural and/or holistic ways a person can achieve or maintain sobriety?

Welcome to hubpages! You've got a great set of hubs going, showing lots of expertise. I'm curious to see the hub you'll write to answer this question smile

2. SoberNation profile image60
    SoberNationposted 6 years ago

BizGenGirl. Thank you so much for your interest in my hub pages. While not an expert in the holistic approach method, I felt challenged to write a hub answering your question. After doing some research, I came to the conclusion that I would be doing the online community a disservice by writing on this topic.
    As much as I wanted to step up to the challenge to prove myself, I can't lol. I have attached a link to an article I found very helpful. Please feel free to ask any more questions as I do love the subject of recovery as a whole. Sorry I could not be of more help to you.
    http://www.alternatives-for-alcoholism. … istic.html

3. Larry Fields profile image78
    Larry Fieldsposted 6 years ago

BizGenGirl, I'm very interested in the question that you raise. I had an uncle who was an alcoholic. And I had a wake-up call several years ago.

I'd read about the putative health benefits of a glass of red wine with supper. I tried it, and enjoyed it. After several months of having a nightly glass of wine, I felt like having a second glass. Eventually, I had a jones for half a bottle per night. Then my inner voice chimed in, "Hey, wait a minute!"

I was never a real alcoholic, but I felt that I was at risk. Since that epiphany, I've tried to be more mindful of how food, exercise, and everything else affects my well being in general--including my tolerance for alcohol.

At the moment, the idea of having a drink is slightly repulsive. And I have a good idea why.

As a person with Sensory Integration Dysfunction, I've found that my continually evolving Sensory Diet has been very helpful, in many ways. By the way, the touchy-feely, New Age, shotgun approach is meaningless for me. 

If I wanted to get together with a friend for a drink tomorrow (which I haven't done for a long time), I know what steps I could take in order to tolerate the alcohol. Again, I'm not an alcoholic, and I'm not on any kind of bandwagon.

I'd like to have some kind of forum where I could discuss what works for me, as an at-risk non-alcoholic, and see if I can be helpful to people who are less fortunate than I am, in that respect.

working