How to make my husband stop drinking alcohol?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)
  1. profile image49
    vani_2k8posted 14 years ago

How to make my husband stop drinking alcohol?

ideas to stop drinking alcohol, confirm is it harmful to health & how many times can take per month.

2. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Based on what is generally known about people thought to be drinking more than they should, I don't think there is any way for you to stop him.  He, himself, has to be the one to want to stop.\

One question you need to have the answer to first is whether or not he's an alcoholic and someone who would have trouble eliminating some or all of the drinks; or whether he's not an alcoholic and is just drinking more than is healthy (or even more than you believe is healthy).

If he's an alcoholic he needs to get help from someone who deals with alcoholism.  If he's not, and he just drinks more than he should (or more than you think he should), I don't think you can do much than look online for information about possible detrimental health (and other) effects of alcohol, print it out, and ask him to read it.

Another question to consider is what I've mentioned above:  Does he really drink so much that there may be a serious concern for the health effects, or are you someone who doesn't like alcohol at all and who wishes he would stop drinking altogether?

I'm sorry if this isn't much of an answer, and there's no doubt that people are generally better off not drinking (although wine has been shown to sometimes be beneficial in preventing some potential heart problems in men), but there is no simple answer to this question, which just has too many variables to answer adequately.

3. profile image52
    The Alcoholicposted 14 years ago

Forget about making anyone quit anything.  Whether it be drinking alcohol or mowing the lawn.  You can control your behavior, period.  If you expect to make anyone do anything your in for a long, frustrating life.  I've tried to control other people only to find out I can only control my own behavior.

You can tell your husband he can either stop drinking or pack his bags.  However, if you tell him to stop or pack, make sure it's not a bluff.  If it is a bluff, all the alcoholics or heavy drinkers I know will blow you off.

If your husband's drinking is causing serious life problems, he is an alcoholic.  What you can do is go to AlAnon.  You can not cure him.  You didn't cause it, can't control nor cure it.

I wish you the best.

4. manthy profile image61
    manthyposted 13 years ago

You cannot change your husband only he can do that.
    Alcohol in moderation is actually good for your health.
    A glass of wine a day won't hurt a healthy person, but if your husband is taking any prescription medicine then one drink could kill him, I would recommend that you try to get him into a rehab program, you can also ask people to pray for him, I will keep him and your family in my prayers ;0)
    I hope this helps in someway

5. wordsscriber profile image60
    wordsscriberposted 13 years ago

contact your local AA for some suggesstions.  An intervention might help him realize how he is affecting the family.  The bottom line is no one can make him stop, he has to decide when.

6. LillyGrillzit profile image78
    LillyGrillzitposted 13 years ago

We are not allowed to live other peoples' lives for them, and after finding Al-Anon (Families and Loved ones of Alcoholics), I learned that my wanting to control another person was just as bad as the drinker drinking.

Once, my husband (ex now), was in the parking lot of a bar, I tracked him down in, I almost ran over him in my rage - The worse thing, is I was completely sober.
    Peace and Good Luck.

7. Tirzah Laughs profile image61
    Tirzah Laughsposted 13 years ago

You can't make anyone do anything.  That's the truth. 

You can do the following:

A) Learn to live with it.
    B) Tell him you'll leave if he doesn't stop and then when he doesn't stop, then leave.  Then if everything else in his life goes south, he may hit bottom and decide to stop drinking.  But he will decide.  If his life is still good and functional, he probably won't stop.

Everyone knows that alcohol will damage your liver in large doses, everyone knows that driving will drunk will get someone killed.

But people never apply any of that knowledge to themselves unless they hit bottom.

Sometimes not even then.

And if he's a social drinker and not an alcoholic then he has even less reason to stop.

My brother drank heavily.  You can't make a drinker stop until he wants to stop.

8. Harry Santos profile image49
    Harry Santosposted 13 years ago

The answer is simple: Make him a sandwich.

hahahahaa

9. cathyaddams567 profile image59
    cathyaddams567posted 11 years ago

Talk to him is the fist thing you must do. If he is willing to change for you, try showing him this site: http://abusetreatmentcenters.net/substa … t-centers/

10. Anna Sternfeldt profile image62
    Anna Sternfeldtposted 11 years ago

I see this question was raised several years ago, but I still think it is a very important question..but I miss vani coming back and make any comments...

I agree with the people who have said that you can't change anyone except yourself. Join Alanon is a very good idea, as being "co-dependent" needs to be healed as well.
    As a sober alcoholic myself I know that the decision to make changes must come from yourself.

11. lostohanababy profile image58
    lostohanababyposted 9 years ago

Patch or Pill, prescriptions made by your doctor, to help your husband, curb his crave for 'drinking' alcohol!  Changes in his behavior may lead to 'loss' of job, uncaring about his health and either promote violence and abuse in the home or to you and children, if there are kids in the house with you.  Can bring about bizarre personality, and so forth.  Get help, if it endangers your safety or the safety of your children!   Don't deal with it alone!

12. m abdullah javed profile image75
    m abdullah javedposted 9 years ago

Make your love, concern and a caring attitude more tastier than alcohol. Your husband has addicted to alcohol as it might have attracted him, try, try, try time and again to make your hubby addicted to you. May Allah shower His mercy on both of you.

13. profile image51
    Madhuvani talamposted 8 years ago

I know that it is harmful, I want my husband to complete ly stop drinking

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)