jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Can Scotsmen cope with alcohol?

1. georgethegent profile image60
    georgethegentposted 6 years ago

Can Scotsmen cope with alcohol?

Can we, or do too many of us have a problem with alcoholism?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6028836_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    Kathleen Kerswigposted 6 years ago

I am not familiar with the statistics regarding Scotsmen and alcoholism. I have come to the realization that alcoholism does not discriminate. It can affect men, women, young, old, athletes, manual labor workers, investment bankers, actors, managers, entertainers, grandmothers, etc., etc., etc. The list could go on forever.

Only the person drinking can say whether or not alcohol has affected them in a negative way. It doesn't matter how much one drinks or how often. The only thing that matters is if the person who is drinking believes they have a problem. It comes down to self-diagnosis, plain and simple.

If someone feels they need to "cope" with alcohol, that may indicate a problem. Every individual is different.

Thanks for the question.

3. MickS profile image74
    MickSposted 6 years ago

There are, probably, proportionally, the same amount of people in Scotland as in the USA, or other couintries that have problems controlling alcohol consumption.  Gathered satistics are mostly unreliable, generelly, police, doctor/hospital answers or relying on respondents to be truhful about their drinking habits,  atre there any polls that have questioned the whole population?.  A good little book to read about statistics is, How to Lie With Statistics -  Darryl Huff.  This question is devisive, raising negative thoughts on the population of a sovreign state.

4. Seeker7 profile image96
    Seeker7posted 6 years ago

Hi George, I would have to say 'no' just on the balance of what I witness where I live. It isn't perhaps a case of alcoholism, but certainly it's binge drinking - men and women. I think there are quite a few people who just can't go out and have a drink or two and be satisfied, they seem to think that in  order to be 'manly' they have to swallow drink after drink. The result is anything but manly and some women are no better.

working