jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What's one thing you wish you would have known before giving birth?

1. Ashleymckinnon profile image82
    Ashleymckinnonposted 6 years ago

What's one thing you wish you would have known before giving birth?

2. smzclark profile image60
    smzclarkposted 6 years ago

Either before giving birth or straight after, I would have loved to be warned about the placenta leftovers...I didn't know what was going on when what looked like organs were droppin outta me!

Also, the one thing I was told before and was very glad of; was to 'go with gravity'. I know people who've spent 48 hours lyin' on their back, I was in labour for just over 1 hour

3. thebookmom profile image76
    thebookmomposted 6 years ago

Not to be gross, but I had no idea that that level of pain can cause intense and uncontrollable puking.  I was so surprised by and unprepared for that that it caused a lot of trouble until a kind nurse took time to explain what was happening and go over options to help stop it.  That would have be really helpful to know before going into labor.

4. veggie-mom profile image70
    veggie-momposted 6 years ago

Practicing relaxation techniques will help your cervix dilate. Also, remembering that each contraction is one step closer to meeting your new baby. Birth is a natural process and one that should be thoroughly enjoyed!

5. Mother of Zeno profile image60
    Mother of Zenoposted 6 years ago

That having a C-section wouldn't make me any worse of a mother. I was so devastated when I found out that my son was breech and I begged for another way because I felt like having a C-section made me weak in some sense. In the moment of finding out I was angry, but after I got to see my son for the first time, I realized it was the best choice for us because I would have been more devastated had he died because of my selfishness.