jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Should the drinking age be lowered to 18?

1. Brightblogger profile image59
    Brightbloggerposted 6 years ago

Should the drinking age be lowered to 18?

2. GAbaptist profile image77
    GAbaptistposted 6 years ago

You have to ask yourself "What is the benefit to society by lowering the drinking age to 18?" I can't think of any benefits, but there is no problem coming up with good reasons not to.

More drunk driving deaths
    More alcohol influenced altercations (drunken brawling)
    More cases of alcohol poisoning
    More cases of domestic violence
    More influence on even younger teens and children to experiment with alcohol
    More tax payer dollars for the courts to hear these cases
    Higher Insurance premiums
    and on, and on and on.

As a police officer, I see the effects of alcohol on society every single day and am more convinced than ever that NOTHING good comes from consuming alcohol. There is no such thing as "responsible drinking" and that term is nothing but an oxymoron. Once you take a drink, your senses start becoming affected and you no longer can be responsible for your actions. All of the excuses for wanting to consume lots of alcohol is nothing more than copouts for people who are miserable, unhappy or unsatisfied with the natural joy in their lives and need some form of stimulation to escape reality.

So, I guess my answer would be NO, I don't think we need to lower the drinking age to 18.  smile

3. Brightblogger profile image59
    Brightbloggerposted 6 years ago

but at 18 you can go to war and buy cigarettes so why not drink. war and cigarettes kill people too. underage kids are getting the alcohol anyway

4. fit2day profile image74
    fit2dayposted 6 years ago

I think it would be fair. There are plenty of alcohol related deaths, so I can understand opposition, but at the same time, we're blasted by advertisements. I think we just have a society that says all or none. Instead of people having a drink or 2, being drunk is the goal. I have no trouble with someone drinking when they're 18, it's the ones who drive drunk, start fights, etc.