Do you think it is right that people can fight for our country at age 18, but ca

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)
  1. momster profile image61
    momsterposted 12 years ago

Do you think it is right that people can fight for our country at age 18, but cannot drink till 21?

Over the many years the drinking age has been raised to 21. To serve and die for your country you can be 18? Do you think that is right?

2. Credence2 profile image79
    Credence2posted 12 years ago

This issue has always been a problem for me even as now it is a remote concern. We create second class citizens for those aged between 18-21. Either you are of the age of majority or you are not, this quasi thing is very annoying. We had these arguments in 1970's and it clearly unfair then as it is now. As far as I am concerned the age of majority is 18 for all things adult. If they can require your military service and put your life on the line, require that you be bound by contracts you sign, etc, why can't you have a drink?

3. challks profile image60
    challksposted 12 years ago

I also think if you are old enough to fight / die for your country then you are old enough to drink / smoke / vote / get married / have kids and make the same kind of decisions that you are able to make protecting our country .
    They seriously need to rethink this law and change it asap

4. profile image0
    Catzgendronposted 12 years ago

No, I've never agreed with that .. it's like they are saying ok you can die for your country but not drink .. I feel the age for drinking, voting and joining the service should be 21 -- that way its fair all the way around .. I used to think they should lower the drinking at to 18 but don't feel you are responsible at that age.

5. MickS profile image59
    MickSposted 12 years ago

No.  We had a similar argument to that in the UK, could serve in the armed forces at 18 but couldn't vote until 21, eventually the voting age was reduced to 18.

6. Daxman profile image60
    Daxmanposted 12 years ago

It's not like 18 year old soldiers are just given a gun and a uniform and are being sent into battle. They are being trained, disciplined and drilled into a battle-ready soldier who is capable of making decisions based on orders and the strategy given. While 18 is not the most mature age in the world, they are being prepared for whats ahead.

As a contrast: Someone who is 18 years of age doesn't recieve training and drilling in how to responsibly consume alcoholic beverages and handle the drunk state of mind one gets himself into. Even if such trainig was provided when someone is drunk the training flies out the window.

My point? An 18 yr old private with a gun in the hand is able to think more responsibly and maturely than an 18 yr old student with a 40oz. This is probably also the reason why army is 18 and alcohol is 21.

7. Author Cheryl profile image81
    Author Cherylposted 12 years ago

Joining the military is a choice at 18.  Drinking may only be a choice because you are following your friends.  When they sign up to join the military they know that part of that job could be to die.  When you start drinking you are voluntarily making the decision that you might go kill someone and yourself if you drive drunk.  I respect the drinking age of 21 because too many people die from drunk drivers and 18 year olds do not drink responsibly and a prime example is spring break  even at 21 they dont drink responsible.  How many kids have died at frat parties?  How many kids have died because of drinking and driving?  How many kids have died from alcohol poisoning because they dont know when to quit because their peers pressure them to keep going.

8. JamaGenee profile image78
    JamaGeneeposted 12 years ago

I'm with Catzgendron.  Where's the logic in saying you're old enough to die for your country but NOT old enough to kill yourself (albeit more slowly) with alcohol?   upping the age for military service, voting, AND drinking to 21 would make much more sense because 18-yr-olds are NOT responsible (or wise enough) yet to be involved in any of the three.

9. LauraGT profile image86
    LauraGTposted 12 years ago

I think the drinking age question is an interesting one. Logically, it seems like the age of majority should be the same across the board (drinking, voting, going to war) and I think our "prohibition" type attitude towards drinking doesn't do much good. And yet the Age 21 drinking law has saved considerable teenage lives that would have otherwise been lost to drinking and driving. So, it's a public health response to a problem that has been effective. It's hard to argue with saved teenage lives.

10. Marturion profile image59
    Marturionposted 12 years ago

When I was 18 I thought it was utterly ridiculous.  When I turned 22, and met with my friends who had enlisted out of high school, I saw the remarkable change in them that 4 years of military training had accomplished.  Compared to friends who had started drinking right out of high school (prohibited or not, it's still a reality) it was quite an eye opener.  Since then, I'm just fine with military service at 18, and drinking at 21.

11. ib radmasters profile image61
    ib radmastersposted 12 years ago

No, I has always thought that if you could die for your country, you should be able to drink. Why is the age for dying lower than the age for drinking?

12. RosemaryHale profile image59
    RosemaryHaleposted 12 years ago

I do not think this is right. My husband is in the army, he joined the day he turned 18, and he is 20 now. I feel if you are responsible enough to be in the military, you're responsible enough to drink. Many people say that people aren't responsible enough to drink at 18, but I know quite a few people who aren't responsible enough to drink at age 30. And no matter the legal drinking age, tons of people drink before they are 21. Hell, I started drinking when I was 15. (note: I don't drink anymore. at all.) Just because the government says you can't drink until you are 21, doesn't mean there aren't people out there who disagree with it and will buy alcohol for their friends or whatever. On other note, I think the fact that it's technically illegal to drink until you are 21 makes it even more appealing to younger people.

13. kmaskreations profile image57
    kmaskreationsposted 12 years ago

I've never seen anyone old enough to drink.  I'm totally against it in any form.  I've not yet known of a disciplined drinker at any age, but I have seen 18 year olds seek out a disciplined life as a soldier.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)