jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Have you given any thought, or done any planning in case you need to care for an

1. K. Burns Darling profile image81
    K. Burns Darlingposted 6 years ago

Have you given any thought, or done any planning in case you need to care for an aging parent?

If you are like me, you never really gave it any thought until the moment came when the doctors said that it was Alzheimer's disease and that he would either need care at home, or to be placed in an extended care facility.  I would never take back the decision to care for my father, but I do wish that I had put some forethought and planning toward a contingency plan. Have you and your family discussed what you would do in this situation?

2. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

No, we haven't.  My parents died when I was a girl and my husband is estranged from his mother (very complicated of course). I do think about burdening my children, and it bothers me a lot.  I would hate to interrupt their family life with my health issues.

3. daizhining profile image58
    daizhiningposted 6 years ago

yes! I was born in a family where in we always take care of out aging grandfather of grandmother, mother or father.

There was one time where in we talked about this with my parents, they are both working and wont be a problem in the near future but we are already making an arrangement.

there are 7 children in the family, I am the youngest and we talked about it before, who ever is near them and available she or he will be the one to live with them, then we divide the expenses, we open a bank account where in we are required to deposit money in case our parents needs them in the future. They have health care and they will have pension but we know that as days go by those pension wont mean anything, so we are preparing for it now. Those who are not married and with no kids are required to deposit double the said amount those who are married will pay half.

1. K. Burns Darling profile image81
      K. Burns Darlingposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I was also raised in a family where we "take care of our own" and so when my father became to ill to be left on his own, it was pretty much second nature or a no-brainer to just pack up and come home.

4. Christine Miranda profile image72
    Christine Mirandaposted 5 years ago

Just which nursing home would be better for them. Really not trying to be funny. What goes around comes around and those who have not, could not or would not be there for their children can't expect their children to be there for them.

working