jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Should employers be mandated to provide health insurance that covers contracepti

1. Joelipoo profile image83
    Joelipooposted 6 years ago

Should employers be mandated to provide health insurance that covers contraceptives?

2. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I'm not sure when contraception became a medical issue unless a person should not get pregnant for health reasons.

So no, I don't think is it the employers responsibility to provide insurance that covers contraception.

3. Ri Masincupp profile image75
    Ri Masincuppposted 6 years ago

I do not believe employers should be mandated to provide health insurance that covers contraceptives but, depending on the company, it could prove beneficial.  Having an employee out on maternity leave is expensive; there is the cost of paying the new mother for six weeks even though she is not doing any work to benefit the company, paying a replacement person to fill in for the new mother, and then time and general costs for the learning curve the replacement person has.  It could be cheaper for the company to pay for contraceptives.

4. Eliminate Cancer profile image59
    Eliminate Cancerposted 6 years ago

I'm not entirely sure why it became an employer's responsibility to provide health insurance.  It makes sense, healthy employees are more productive - but a requirement to operating a business??   Isn't that up to the individual, and possibly the government?

No other industrialized nation has this arrangement...  and I think if we are going to fix healthcare issues in this country, we need to examine the bizarre way it is set up - the disconnect, and yet required relationship between the patient, doctor, insurance company, employer, and the government...  have I left anyone out?  Oh yes, lawyers who can sue the doctor, lawyer, or employer.

I hope I'm not coming across as bitter - but it's a complicated problem, and that's not going to change unless we restructure the whole system.

working