jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What is Ehlers Danlos Syndrome?

1. K9keystrokes profile image90
    K9keystrokesposted 6 years ago

What is Ehlers Danlos Syndrome?

2. LizVenneri profile image57
    LizVenneriposted 6 years ago

Ehlers Danlos syndrome is a connective tissue disorder. There are 5 different types of this disorder ranging from hyper mobile to cardiovascular and everything in between. It is often looked at like fibromyalgia and severe cases of arthritis.

3. BEAUTYBABE profile image74
    BEAUTYBABEposted 6 years ago

Hi K9keystrokes,
    I did some research and found out this information about theThe Ehlers-Danlos
    I hope this information helps you to understand a bit about this inherited disorder that can have similar symptoms as Fbromyalgia as the symptoms are very similar.
    There is usually chronic fatigue, muscle pain and weakness, flu like feelings, pain in the joints and numbness and other symptoms.

The Ehlers-Danlos syndromes (EDS) refer to a group of inherited disorders that affect collagen structure and function. Genetic abnormalities in the manufacturing of collagen within the body affect connective tissues, causing them to be abnormally weak.

Collagen is a strong, fibrous protein that lends strength and elasticity to connective tissues such as the skin, tendons, organ walls, cartilage, and blood vessels. Each of these connective tissues requires collagen tailored to meet its specific purposes. The many roles of collagen are reflected in the number of genes dedicated to its production. There are at least 28 genes in humans that encode at least 19 different types of collagen. Abnormalaties in these genes can affect basic construction as well as the fine-tuned processing of the collagen.

I hope this helps you with your question,

4. JerryJupiter profile image61
    JerryJupiterposted 6 years ago

It is quite varied in what it is - BeautyBabe does a good job of describing it. I do have it in my hands - I am able to bend my fingers all the way back to the back of my hand without any pain whatsoever - this however increases the potential for carpal tunnel problems - which I've also received sad