jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Does the removing of Asperger's Syndrome from the DSM series...

1. Jaggedfrost profile image80
    Jaggedfrostposted 5 years ago

Does the removing of Asperger's Syndrome  from the DSM series...

make you feel like less of a person if you were previously diagnosed as such, Why or why not?

2. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

By what I have read Asperger's will still be a used term, however they will be using "autism spectrum disorder" as a broad wording now to cover all forms of autism. I actually support the removal. My reasoning is that we simply have far too many names for illnesses now. I mean there's around 6 different Bi Polars. Tons of different depressions. It just makes since to somewhat group the similar ones together for teaching purposes.
    The removal will not mean I suddenly start saying my son has autism spectrum disorder. I will still say he has aspergers. So really there will be no personal change.

3. Shanti Perez profile image78
    Shanti Perezposted 5 years ago

No, because it is all part of autism spectrum disorder. I've never felt that people who have been labeled Asperger's Syndrome are above those who are labeled autistic disorder. I have friends who are non-verbal and were once considered low functioning. I think low functioning is often a mislabeling--perhaps labels are not always useful--when teachers and caregivers have not taken the time to communicate in the way the person who is non-verbal communicates best. A non-verbal person may be capable of writing a novel or solving high-level math equations, but if everyone around that person ignores all the methods available to communicate, besides tongue-flapping, then that person will be dismissed by society as low functioning.

It may be that the Kanner type autism and the Hans Aspergers diagnoses make more sense merged, instead of creating division between the so-called "betters" and the so-called "less thans". The world is better without so much division.

1. Jaggedfrost profile image80
      Jaggedfrostposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I have never thought myself above one with autism. Honestly I am not sure which condition or set of symptoms is mure unfortunate.

4. Patty Inglish, MS profile image93
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 5 years ago

Now that the deadline has passed for public contribution of opinions and suggestions to the 2013 release of the DSM-V manual for determining Austism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and incorporating Aspberger's Syndrome into ASD, public and media speculation fill the Internet. read more

5. Music-and-Art-45 profile image94
    Music-and-Art-45posted 5 years ago

No it shouldn't make you feel like less of a person because it is a diagnosis which doesn't make it a personal identity, and thus you shouldn't feel like less of a person, at least I don't. 

Asperger's technically hasn't been removed form the DSM-V, its being labeled as an  ASD.  The term Asperger's will still be used for higher functioning people on the autistic spectrum as it has become commonplace and is culturally recognized.