Any tips for falling back asleep when you're wide awake at 3AM?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (14 posts)
  1. raniwrites profile image67
    raniwritesposted 12 years ago

Any tips for falling back asleep when you're wide awake at 3AM?

2. RPirate profile image60
    RPirateposted 12 years ago

Hey raniwrites,

first of all, every problem needs a solution. I don't think you are asking the right question. You're wide awake at 3 am because i bet you wake up at 1 or 2 PM? smile

We are like nature, must sleep when the night comes, so you must have the right amount of sleep at the right time!

Set your alarm to 8am o'clock when you're up at 3am. I bet you will be in bed by 11 pm the next day. Go to bed at the right time, wake up early. Trust me, you will feel much better in time when you get use to it.

3. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 12 years ago

Just make your mind go blank. Think of a black abyss. Just darkness.

4. albertsj profile image83
    albertsjposted 12 years ago

Multiple things can work or not. People have said Yoga, or meditation, neither work for me.  I think different things work for different people. If it's an ongoing problem, then I'd highly advise asking an accupuncturist. Because there are tons of points on our bodies that we can stimulate just with accupressure, that could work. Outside of that I usually will try the TV, reading or writing.  It's a tough one because everyone's different.

5. Insane Mundane profile image58
    Insane Mundaneposted 12 years ago

Yeah, lay back down and continue to lay there while hoping you'll get at least 5 more minutes of sleep before your alarm clock goes off.  Or, get up, move around and pretend you don't have to get up for work or whatever and jump back into bed later, just to try the whole "fall back to sleep" process again.
    Bad dream?  How do you need advice "falling back" asleep when you plainly said that you are "wide" awake?  Beats me...

6. mattforte profile image88
    mattforteposted 12 years ago

Melatonin works wonders.

Also, I do math in my head.... >.>

7. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 12 years ago

I am a chronic insomniac. I am grateful if I sleep until 3 a.m. The question is how many hours of sleep are you getting. If you are getting 7 or more consider your self very lucky and you just may need to change your bed time. If you are like me and get five on a good night you may need to talk to a counselor and/or your doctor. The counselor may help you find out what you are thinking about that is causing to awake. Your doctor may determine that you just need to reset your internal clock, which takes a little time, or you may need some medication--noting wrong with that as long as you do not abuse it or share it with a friend.

Some people will tell you to get up and read for awhile.

Others will tell you to stay in bed.

Some will say play ocean waves sound effects.

Until a person has lived with insomnia, they do not know how hard it is to handle. I hope your situation is temporary.

8. Daxman profile image59
    Daxmanposted 12 years ago

I believe you will find this hub rather helpful if you are coping with sleeping problems

http://daxman.hubpages.com/hub/How-to-h … eep-easier

9. profile image0
    paralegalproposted 12 years ago

I've given up laying in bed trying to fall back asleep. These days, when I realize that I am not going to fall asleep again any time soon, I get up and do something that engages my mind briefly, like writing a notecard to my folks or reading a magazine article. After 30 minutes, I go back to bed, whether or not I am feeling tired. I'm not sure why it works, but I always manage to fall asleep again. Something that eluded me for years.

10. donnaisabella profile image72
    donnaisabellaposted 12 years ago

I for one spend the time praying and soon enough fall asleep. At other times I just pick up the book by my bedside table and read, before long I am too tired to read and finally fall asleep, it always works.

11. cloverleaffarm profile image69
    cloverleaffarmposted 12 years ago

I don't know, but if you find out let me know. I have the same problem. Ah, but I do some of my best writing in the wee hours, so it has it's benefits.

12. Rain Defence profile image79
    Rain Defenceposted 12 years ago

It's natural for your body to wake up after several hours sleep. You sleep for four hours at a time so waking up at 3am is totally normal. People nowadays expect to sleep through til mornining, but that isn't what the human body does naturally so the best thing is don't worry about it, relax and just let the next cycle of sleep take you when you're ready.

13. Barnsey profile image70
    Barnseyposted 12 years ago

Lets keep it short but sweet. There is a natural cure for everything! You don't have to live in California to be smart enough to recognize this!

14. That Grrl profile image72
    That Grrlposted 12 years ago

I don't mind getting up early and working awhile. As long as I'm just on the computer or something else quiet so I won't wake up anyone else. But, if I want to get to sleep and can't I like a hot shower, lots of steam, a nice shampoo/ conditioner and body wash soap too. I dry off, keep a towel around my hair so my pillow won't get wet and then self pleasure, get comfy and think about nothing until I start drifting off.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)