jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Calcified lymph node from 17 years ago is suddenly swollen and painul. What cou

1. Crochetliens profile image75
    Crochetliensposted 6 years ago

Calcified lymph node from 17 years ago is suddenly swollen and painul.  What could it be?

I have a calcified lymph node at my jaw line.  I have had it since I was 12 and it has never hurt.  Suddenly it is bigger and hurts pretty bad.  I was thinking of seeing if it gets better after a few days and if not call my Dr.  What could be happening?

2. donnaisabella profile image80
    donnaisabellaposted 6 years ago

The best you can do is to see the doctor because no one can tell what is happening. I do have one too but I do not know how and when it came to be, I only noticed it about  10 years ago, but five years ago it began to hurt very much and to grow bigger. I realized that the only thing that I had done then was to take some acai juice. Acai was said to be an antioxidant that cleaned the body and boosted the immune system by working on blood circulation. I was in no doubt that it was causing me these problems so I stopped taking it. Ever since then, I have had no problem.

3. Healthy Pursuits profile image90
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 6 years ago

I am not a person who sees a doctor at the drop of a hat. However, I would definitely go see a doctor about that. It may only be an irritation or some minor infection, but calcified lymph nodes are something to watch.

4. kgc-66 profile image59
    kgc-66posted 6 years ago

I'm no medical expert, and I think if it concerns you, a trip to the doctor is warranted.  Calcified lymph nodes are usually caused by an old, inactive infection or some type of mineral imbalance.  If it suddenly becomes painful again, there is the possibility of an infection.  Have the doctor run a blood count to check for infection, and it wouldn't hurt to have your calcium and vitamin D levels checked as well (imbalances of these minerals are known to cause calcification).  Finally, have them check for mono (yes, adults can get it too and not just from kissing!)  - because mono requires a special test and doesn't show up in routine blood test results. Good luck!